"Union" keys

Neither of my Mini's (1962 and 1964) have keys. One car has a key that works (but the key number doesn't match the lock number), and the other has none.

Is there any supplier of keys? Preferably, I would like to find original "Union" brand keys, since that is what they had originally.

They are "FS" type.

Any ideas? Thanks :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Howard Rose decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

somewhere.. I've got a full set of FS keys...

Reply to
Pete M

At pretty well any decent sized autojumble you'll find someone selling new ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would you like to sell/lend me any? :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I should keep my eyes open more (or go to more autojumbles!).

Anyone know if a March 1964 Austin Mini SuperDeluxe should have FS keys? By 1964 BMC had stopped stamping the key code on the ignition barrel. The codes written on the door lock shafts don't have the prefix, just the number. I assume it would be FS, since that is what my January '62 Mini is?

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Howard Rose decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'll dig them out. I suspect they're rusting away in the garage. I think the shape of the head is the giveaway.

IIRC the FS were rectangular, and there was another series that had a round head. I'll try and remember where they are.

Reply to
Pete M

Hey Pete wouldn't mind if I could get a couple for my old MGB - I've looked and the particular numbers those keys have been used up.

Rm

Reply to
Rob

The message from "Pete M" contains these words:

I have just had a look at the Keys I accumulated during the 60s and 70s. A handful of FAs, FPs and FSs. Head shape was not an indication. There were at least three different head shapes - round, rectangular and square(ish). I have all 3 for FS, only round for FP and rectangular and round for FA. I suspect that the head difference was so that one could tell boot and ignition keys apart in the dark.

Reply to
Roger

: IIRC the FS were rectangular, and there was another series that had a round : head. I'll try and remember where they are.

I think the head shape varies. I have some original Wilmot Breedon FS keys here with round and rectangular heads. The other series which seems to turn up on classic cars is the FP: I think the difference is simply in the cross-section.

It's quite easy to modify locks to fit a different key. Just take out the barrel, insert the key and very carefully file any proud tumblers flush with a small file. Yes, you lose a few tumblers when it's locked, but these are hardly the world's most secure locks in the first place...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Checking the FP and FS on my keyring confirms this. ISTR that I have a selection of MRN keys from somewhere too. Hillman perhaps?

I've always found that a selection of 20 or so FS keys is sufficient to find one or two that fit, despite what the numbers say!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yes - to identify different keys, say for ignition and boot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wilmot Breedon got bought out by Rockwell Light Vehicle Systems, which changed it's name in 1997 to Meritor Light Vehicle Systems.

I found some old Wilmot Breedon key blanks in a storeroom at RLVS in Australia many years ago, but I doubt they'd have anything left today.

Reply to
Graham W

But the vehicle-locks-and-stuff section was then spun off to a company called "Wilson Body Hardware".

See

THey still make all the traditional Willmot Breeden locks and latches.

Reply to
PJML

: In article , : Ian Johnston wrote: : > : IIRC the FS were rectangular, and there was another series that had a : > : round head. I'll try and remember where they are. : : > I think the head shape varies. I have some original Wilmot Breedon FS : > keys here with round and rectangular heads : : Yes - to identify different keys, say for ignition and boot.

What's wrong with the jiggle-and-twist routine?

Useful fact: most BL cars from the 80's could be opened easily with most petrol filler cap keys. I suppose they just - and rightly - didn't think anyone would want to steal 'em ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Yep, FS is the key with the slightly squarey oblong head. I have one key with a round head, that has FP as the key code.

Actually, I've just checked the key codes again - my '64 Mini has FS keys, whereas my '62 should have FP...

Pete, please let me know if/when you find the keys, and I will send you the numbers of the keys I am after.

Cheers!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I've not used them, and the web site does not inspire confidence (never trust anyone who accords himself the courtesy title "Mr"), but they've advertised for a while in the Octagon Car Club Bulletin.

Or it's Beaulieu in a couple of weeks - there will be one or two there, I imagine.

Reply to
Autolycus

Reply to
Bernard

The message from Willy Eckerslyke contains these words:

I think that series was just a bit earlier. I thought I had some of those as well but couldn't find them.

ISTR that ex GPO Minor vans (complete with rubber front wings) of the

50s and probably into the 60s all had MRN 49 locks.
Reply to
Roger

Fords were the same. Plenty of stories about people getting into the wrong car in a carpark and driving off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|| On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:17:55 GMT, "Pete M" || wrote: || ||| I'll dig them out. I suspect they're rusting away in the garage. I ||| think the shape of the head is the giveaway. ||| ||| IIRC the FS were rectangular, and there was another series that had ||| a round head. I'll try and remember where they are. || || || Yep, FS is the key with the slightly squarey oblong head. I have one || key with a round head, that has FP as the key code. || || Actually, I've just checked the key codes again - my '64 Mini has FS || keys, whereas my '62 should have FP... || || Pete, please let me know if/when you find the keys, and I will send || you the numbers of the keys I am after. || || Cheers! || I have FS keys had lost one for my Caravan ( now found!) and just got a new one from my local Caravan dealer, he had a wall display full of them, Lucky I remembered the number!

Des

Des

Reply to
Des