Vinyl vs Latex spannering gloves

Just about on-topic - what are the pros and cons regarding vinyl and latex gloves?

I've just finished a box of latex ones, which were OK until I got them near oil/petrol/white spirit etc, when they went baggy and fell apart. Would vinyl be any better?

I liked the amount of feel the latex gloves allowed - I guess that's why they use latex for condoms ;-)

Any comments?

Reply to
Ben Mack

Did you hear the one about the man with five penises...

Reply to
Sean

I've used vinyl ones from the outset because of the reasons you mention. They seem to last a bit longer under solvent abuse - though cellulose thinners makes them go hard, brittle then break after about five mins. If I recall correctly petrol destroys them just that much quicker. Still okay for protection, as long as you consider them truly disposable and replace them every few mins.

Most of the time they last long enough to re-use on the oily stuff.

Reply to
DocDelete

I use vinyl sometimes because I've been given them (don't ask about their source ;-) They split more easily, whereas latex can take a snag and recover. And they seem more susceptible to chemical damage. I don't think there's much difference in the "feel", except that vinyl, being less stretchy, doesn't fit to the hand as snugly, so effectivly there's less. I also find my fingernails make holes in the ends easily so my fingertips end up dirty, whereas the stretch in latex accomodates this.

Basically, if I were paying for them, I would only buy latex. HTH

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Hi Chris - that seems to fly in the face of the fact that latex dissolves when faced with certain oils. Don't johnnies dissolve in baby oil? (Not that I'm inclined to fill my sump with baby oil, or use latex gloves instead of condoms).

;-)

Seriously though, how do they hold up to cellulose thinners and petrol?

Reply to
DocDelete