Water Temp Gauge Woes

Hi, this is a 52 MG TD. The gauge is non-electrical, and appears to work by the expansion of a fluid in phial, which is then pushed up a pipe to activate the gauge. As I say, assume this is the way it works, but not sure.

Anyway, I recently removed the rad, and when I put it all back together, the gauge stopped working. I don't know if I nipped the pipe somehow and broke or squashed it, or the gauge has just stopped working (but that seems too much of a coincidence).

Is my assumption on how this works correct? What is the fluid? Any ideas on how I could find the fault??? Are the parts hard to source?

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
callmepaul

old type gauges do work by fluid expanding in a sealed tube, if the tube is damaged the gauge stops. AFAIK you need a new gauge complete with 'sender', it must be possible to get yours repaired, but I would dread to think of a cost.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes these tubes do crack from vibration, you most likely upset it by taking it out They are repairable and not that expensive to have repaired.

Reply to
Rob

The chances are that the junction between the bulb and the tube is leaking. I have heard of people repairing them themselves. First you have to find the leak then submerge it in liquid and force any air out I think by warming it up. Then let it cool to draw liquid back in and somehow reseal. I don't know what the liquid is nowadays, I think traditionally it was ether. There are plenty of instrument overhaulers who will do it for you at I would think £50 to £100 depending on any other work to be done. Instrument repairers are renowned for taking a long time so check before you commit yourself.

Malcolm

.
Reply to
Malcolm

OK, some useful answers, thanks very much everyone.

Regards,

Paul.

snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk wrote:

Reply to