What is a good price to pay for a decent daily driver MG Midget?

Not looking for a show winner. Something that will look good enough when driven though, and keep going=20 with tinkering and fettling rather than spending days in the garage.

After having fun for a year with a Jap turbo 4x4 coupe, I've worked out=20 how much I've spent on my =A31700 "Bargain" Supercar. More than the car=20 cost, and I still haven't finished yet. The credit card is starting to=20 bulge, and at an average of 25MPG its fun, but not exactley economical=20 with todays fuel prices. I would love another Saab 900 turbo (especially=20 a convertable) again, but SWMBO has laid down the law. The 900 is too=20 big for the space we have, and we couldn't get a convertable into the=20 yard so it would be prone to vandalism.

Time for something small, fun, and smaller engined. Nippy and quick=20 enough rather than fast. So I guess it is Midget time unless someone can think of something else=20 small 2 seater convertable, for normal couple of grand rather than silly=20 money. Not looking for a resto, or a concourse, just an honest tidy=20 daily driver.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Fiat X1/9.

You don't want any kind of rag-top MG for daily driving - they can be made reliable enough, but the 4 speed box is a PITA for motorway drags, they leak and the heating is non-existant in winter.

At least the Fiat, in 1500 form at least, is going to be reliable, have a 5 speed box and working heating. You'd also get a better X1/9 for your money than you would a Midget.

To be fair, though, for what you need a car for, a boring family hatch would be far more appropriate and much cheaper to run.

Reply to
SteveH

I know. I had my Skoda Favorit. Perfectly reliable. Give it a service when I got it, change the oil when needed, and get the brakes checked.

But it was so depressingly boring. And I do know after I had played with it, while it made it to Norwich and back without a flicker of a problem, my back didn't feel the same with bucket seats and motorsport shocks and springs.

Best car I've had was the Saab. I was stupid to sell it now that the prices are climbing.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar