What is required (electrics) for a '61

Hi there, I have a 1961 VW Beetle and the wiring is a mess. What is required by law for the MOT in terms of electrics?

- Do I need any fog lights front or rear?

- Do I need a hazard lights?

- Do I need a high beam indicator bulb?

- Does anything have to come on whilst the ignition is off (ie, the horn, lights etc?)

The car will shortly have the original style rear lights which are just a single red light which acts as the brake light, driving light and indicator. I assume that this is also ok for the MOT.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Dave Angel

Dave Angel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No - Rear 1980, front never a requirement. Rears, if fitted, must work. Fronts don't need to work even if fitted.

No, c. '74. But - speaking personally - I'd want to add 'em. If fitted, must work.

No, never a requirement.

Nothing specifically tested in the MOT, but I'd want side/taillights to be able to be left on without ignition.

I'll let you figure that one out for yourself...

Tail lights

lamps

Adrian

There are two sets of legal requirements, the C&U regs (for the year of manufacture/registration) and the (current) MOT regs, items not required under the relevant C&U regs are not required for the MOT - but - if later additions, such as Hazard Lights, have been fitted then they will be tested to the relevant or current MOT test standard.

I think you will find that it is a requirement for the C&U regs, it's not how ever part of the MOT check.

Again, stop talking about the MOT, what is important here is the C&U regs, considering that 'parking lights' were a requirement at the very minimum 'side lights' need to be independent of ignition switch.

Yes, *IF* that is the original UK fitment.

The C&U regs are what is important, no changes in the C&U regs (as far as PLG vehicles are concerned) have been made retrospective, whilst the MOT reflects the requirements of the C&U regs in force for the year of vehicle.

Reply to
:Jerry:

":Jerry:" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It isn't. Or, if it is, Citroen were infringing C&U as late as 1990 when they were flogging new 2cvs without a main beam warning light.

Do they? _Need_ to be? Care to point us to a reference as to that?

That's fine. D'you want to actually be helpful and point us all at the C&U regs that would be applicable to a 1961-registered vehicle?

Here in the real world, the MOT requirements are as good as you're going to get - both in terms of actual compliance requirement and in terms of what you may get hassle over.

Reply to
Adrian

Rightly or wrongly, I know someone who had an MOT failure because the sidelights were wired through the ignition switch.

I can't give a reference but my understanding is that some retrospective changes have been made to C & U. All cars need windscreen washers (unless the windscreen opens or can be seen round/over) and rear reflectors.

Reply to
Malcolm

"Malcolm" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Did it have dim-dip fitted?

The only mention of ignition switch in the MOT tester's manual, as far as sidelights are concerned, is...

"On vehicles fitted with dim-dip headlamp systems, the front position lamps must be checked for operation with the ignition switched off."

...both of which are tested in the MOT...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Malcolm" contains these words:

ISTR that the windscreen washer requirement came in circa 1970. At the time I was running an old ex commercial 2A Land Rover with just one wiper (which was apparently still legal) but it lacked a proper washer. My first line of defence, had I ever been stopped, was that I had an openable windscreen. My second that the ex washing up bottle I carried was an excellent windscreen washer at least for the drivers side. I never had to put it to the test so I don't know if I would have got away with it.

Reply to
Roger

Roger gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Openable windscreen's good enough.

Reply to
Adrian

. Looks at 2CV on the drive ...

... at the 1985 2CV on the drive ...

... ... at the dashboard of the 1985 2CV on the drive.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Pal of mine had an old Landrover which failed its MOT because the windscreen wiper wasn't working. "Hang on mo, " he said, removing it entirely. "Retest please." The tester almost had apoplexy, but had to pass him.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

That is about the right date. I was driving a Mayflower at the time, and had to retro-fit windscreen washers to it. You could buy a hand operated push-to-pump kit, but it had a wicket return spring and needed something a bit more substantial than a right-angled switch bracket to fix it to.

I remember fitting the pump to an old spare windscreen wiper motor which I mounted somewhere under the bonnet, so that when it was switched on it squirted water rather than moved the wipers. Very posh - a 1952 Mayflower with electric windscreen washers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

What you need are the Lighting Regulations

vehicles that are type aproved in another EU country are alsoaccepted under UK law. John

Reply to
John

John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nope, not that simple.

First off, the 1989 RVLR doesn't tell you what's applicable to 1961 vehicles. There's a clue in the "1989" bit. It only covers new vehicles from that date forward.

Secondly, it's not as simple as "OK in the EU? OK in the UK", as anybody who's ever imported and UK registered a car will know. Many EU countries didn't require foglights, side repeaters and other stuff - seatbelts, even - at the same times as the UK did, so retro-fitting is often required. Not to mention, of course, that headlight dip and fog lights may need to be changed to cope with the fact we drive on the left.

Reply to
Adrian

Basically, everything that was fitted as original equipment should be present and working. If any other electrics have been added it is best to make sure that they work! (Some testers try to cover themselves by requiring everything to work)

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

Peter Chadbund wrote: > Basically, everything that was fitted as original equipment should be > present and working. If any other electrics have been added it is best > to make sure that they work! (Some testers try to cover themselves by > requiring everything to work)

To answer the other half of your question, I think sidelights have to work with the ignition off, as do hazard lights if fitted (and there is no requirement to have them fitted). There is no particular requirement for whether anything else works without the ignition on, but it can if wired like that (in the 1950s and 1960s the horn was often wired to work with ignition off by some manufacturers, and with ignition on by others).

Reversing lights are not part of the MOT test and nor is the interior light, so if you have them fitted, it will not matter if they work or not. Assume that everything else if fitted, must work. But if it was not original equipment, it doesn't have to be fitted now (except windscreen washers).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Front fog lights (if fitted) are not a testable item. I've got them on my MG ZB and asked the examiner, after observing that they were never switched on.

Reply to
Dan Smithers

Dan Smithers gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Seconded. They never worked on my ol' CX.

It's easy to see what is and isn't testable, and what can and can't fail

-

click on "tester's manual". If it ain't explicitly listed as a "reason for rejectin", it CAN'T be failed on.

Reply to
Adrian