Which v8 for mgb conversion?

Hello All,

It's been a while since I was last here with my rusty p6, and Dave and others gave me a lot of advice. Two children later I have a new project in mind, and your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm planning to shoehorn a v8 into a post 77 mgb. The question is which v8 ? I can find nothing on line anywhere detailing the pros and cons of different choices. The SD1 seems to be a popular choice, as does the range rover 3.9.

I can't work out if the various engine/gearboxes are interchangeable and equally easy to fit - SD1s (esp 5 speed manual) are getting a bit collectable these days so rusty bodied, sound engined ones are harder to come by. 3.9 range rovers are a lot easier to find, but can you simply bolt on (e.g) a 5 speed sd1 box to a range rover 3.9 auto block? Are all the petrol v8 engines identical externally, only differing in capacity ? or are some just not suited to what I have in mind.

The SD1s I have come across although affordable, are generally in too nice a condition to go breaking - I wouldn't have the heart, so it's turning out to be a long search esp since I want to hear the thing running, and possibly drive it first. I am hoping the 3.9 range rover route might be easier as there are so many around.

Is it easy for instance to take the diff lock etc gubbins out of a range rover manual set up and stick the gearbox back on - would it even fit ?

I'm rambling, - so, if you had a choice what would be your preffered engine/gearbox options/combination in terms of ease of fit and availability?

Im not asking about this on the mg group yet because its not mainly an mg question at this stage, but I'd be really interested in your opinions on this.

Thanks

(Wishing I'd kept the engine from my p6)

Reply to
Liam Healy

Personally, I wouldn't go more than a 3.9, in the interests of insurance sanity, axle life, brake and suspension ability etc. Any rover V8 can be made to fit, the differences being the interchangeable front covers, exhaust manifolds, and induction system. You could, if you wanted, uprate everything and put a 4.6 efi engine complete with management system into it, might need a bonnet bulge though. Post-SD1 engines are better, they have better heads (with slightly larger valves) and a stronger piston design with longer life rings. They all, however, eat camshafts and followers. I'd say go for a known running 3.9 and convert it to carbs, throw a new cam and followers in it at the very least (I'd do the rings and shells as well, then you know it's a good 'un). Whatever you do, don't touch anything with a history of overheating or coolant usage! As for gearboxes, you can't simply convert the landrover LT77 by removing the transfer gearbox, get a V8 LT77 from a rover, tr8, ldv v8, tvr etc etc., or go for a later R380 conversion. There's a 5 speed Getrag box with rover v8 bellhousing on ebay just now...... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Liam Healy ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Stuffed TVR?

Reply to
Adrian

Hi, and thanks,

Do you mean I *can* pick up something like a 3.9 v8 auto, chuck the box, keep the engine, and then use a gearbox from something like a TVR or SD1? Or from any rover v8 for that matter as a straight bolt on?

Reply to
Liam Healy

Yes, exactly that. if using an engine from an auto, you will need to insert a spigot bush into the end of the crank though, easy job. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I have no idea if the things are still available or the practicality of it, but a Daimler 2.5 V8 would be a very sexy thing to put in it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

You wont belive this but my friend and neighbour bought one a month ago from Oxford - I can see it 80 yards away out of my window! I had a drive the day he got it - an automatic, it was so smooth and light and in very good Nick, he paid 2K for it so no change of pulling it to bits :-) But I'm more familiar with the rover lump, so will probably stick to that.

Reply to
Liam Healy

Hmmmm, I think I need to find a terminally rotten Alfa 6. I reckon an MGB with that lump would be lovely.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

  1. B with a transaxle... Mmm.
Reply to
Adrian

"...There's a 5 speed Getrag box with rover v8 bellhousing on ebay just now...... "

So in theory I could (1) mate it to this Item number: 4576514384, and (2) get it to fit into an MGB? or would the BMW box cause a few difficulties ?

Reply to
Liam Healy

Heh, that would be a bit challenging, I reckon. Which is why I plumped for the 6, ISTR that's the only RWD application of the V6 without a transaxle.

Reply to
SteveH
[...]

Nope, it would be an MGB with a lovely motor.

Alistair J Murray

Well, the mgbV8 only ever had a 4-speed box (throwover from the P6, I think) so any 5-speeder may require some tunnel mods, and that is a very good

5-speed box - better than anything Leyland/rover ever managed to throw together! If it were my project, I'd get that box, mate it to a decent 3.9 with a mild or semi-fast road cam and modify the tunnel as required. After all, it's only carpeted, isn't it? Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Hi I would think this site would be a good place to start:

Then anything V8 wise, the guys on this forum are very good at:

I have an SD1 lump in mine which is an NG with MGB running gear.

Hope this helps. Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmmm. But I suspect that you'd be hard pressed to find either of the Alfa

6s sold here.
Reply to
Adrian

Lol. Good point.

I came very close to buying a half decent 90 with 8 months MOT for 200 quid a couple of years ago. Kicking myself I didn't snap it up now.

Reply to
SteveH

If you can get one, the SD1 Vitesse or EFI 3.5 engine is by far the sweetest and most powerful of all the variants. The bigger ones might have more grunt - but just ain't so sweet, or have the right characteristics for a sports car. Of course some of the TVR variants are excellent, but difficult to find.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I *think* it used the MG C box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but with the 3.5 engines, unless you fit the efi system the power will drop back to around 160/165bhp with the 9.75 comp. ratio, 155/160 with the

9.35 ratio. The vitesse was quoted at 190bhp, in the BL days of exaggerated power output quotations, whereas the 3.9 has a modern quotation of 182/185bhp depending on application. A true dyno average for the vitesse was probably nearer 180, i've witnessed 2 vitesse spec 3.5 engines on the dyno, both at around 175-180 after bedding in. It's also interesting to note that the only figures quoted by landrover for the 3.9 are on installations fitted with catalytic convertors also, so your bhp argument holds no water Dave. Any decent 3.9 will break 200 with no cats fitted. The 3.9 uses the same camshaft as the vitesse/efi SD1 (Different cam in the rangerover 3.5 efi) but retarded 2 degrees to give a little more bottom end torque. A 3.9 with a mild/fast road cam will give more power and torque than the 3.5 but will deliver very similar characteristics. The larger the capacity, the "softer" a given camshaft's delivery characteristics will be. For instance, a 5.0 with a road/rally cam designed for a 3.5, will have power delivery more akin to a mild/fast road 3.5. As you say, some of the TVR variants are a little hard to come by, but they are nothing more than a std engine with a different cam, certainly in 3.9 guise. I don't even think there are any porting mods done on the basic engine. The 4.2 tvr engine has, however, been condiderably "worked over". Badger.
Reply to
Badger

The bloke who put a Nissan 2 litre turbo from a 94-98 200SX in his MGB had the right idea. 205bhp stock, MGB chaissis twisting 300bhp just needs a few bolt on mods. Don't have to run a silly high overdrive to get economy and keep bangs per minute down to something that doesn't sound demented when cruising. Most people don't like running much more than 6000 bangs/min in cruise = 3000 rpm 4 cyl, 2000 rpm 6cyl and

1500 rpm 8 cyl. So for 70mph at 1500rpm V8 winds up geared for well over 240mph in top (but runs out of go way before so top speed is only obtained in 4th or 3rd). Gear ratio is so high that any claim to having "low down power" or "bottom end torque" is negated.
Reply to
Peter Hill