Why (strangely) I quite like London

Yesterday, walking from Marylebone to Baker St with about 5000 other commuters.

At a set of lights, a VERY lovely silver Alvis TD21.

Two seconds later, at another set of lights, an even more gorgeous Park Ward (I think) Bentley Continental (a real one, not a VW)

These people may live in another world financially to me, but - by god - they have their hearts in the right place...

Reply to
Adrian

Second this - have the joys of a desk in an office block that overlooks the A4. A five minute pause and gawp out of the window will be rewarded with some piece of exotica / superannuated machinary.

Now for a puzzler, saw it yesterday on the aforementioned A4, but the distance is just too far to read badges / logos.

Vehicle can only be described as 1986 (D plate - though could be "cherished"), long - I would guess 16', two doored coupe, squared off lines but a pronunced curve in the bonnet down to the front end. Big wide badge on the top rear edge of the boot, but I couldn't make out any shape from the distance.

Any ideas ?

Reply to
Mark W

*drool*
Reply to
Ben Blaney

TVR Tasmin?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Sigh... How many times do you have to be told, Ben? Dribbling is NOT attractive ;o)

Reply to
michelle

Mark W ( snipped-for-privacy@madasafish.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bitter SC?

Basically an Opel Senator in drag.

Adrian

You've never complained before.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Closer in size than the TVR option - but the bonnet was almost flat for

2/3 of its length then curved sharply
Reply to
Mark W

OK - been through a few sites - Ferarri 412i looks about the closest candidate ...

Reply to
Mark W

Mark W ( snipped-for-privacy@madasafish.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"big wide badge", though?

Could be something 'merkin.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian realised it was 13 Nov 2004 18:52:51 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Hmmm. With the described bonnet, it could be a Studebaker Avanti!

*gulp*
Reply to
Yippee

With the similarity to the Bitter, it could be a Venturi.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

In news:Xns95A081FA562E9adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I always wanted one of those. Something about them is rather lovely.

Reply to
Pete M

Outside my office window in Bath. Jet black '60s V12 Ferrari (not a model I recognised, but gorgeous).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm quite lucky that our office landlord runs a classic car business too. In the paddock outside are

1963 Corvette Stingray coupe (split rear screen!) 1954 Cadillac 1988 Mercedes 600 AMG Several Jensen CV8s 1930s Bentley reputed to be worth £100k Oh, and an Alvis of some description was here a few days ago. And at the level I can afford, Triumph 2000s, Capris, Mantas, Vivas (!) and misc. other s**te ;-)

The stock changes slowly over the year, and I know for a fact that the business is only a "vehicle" for the owner to try out different cars - the lucky sod doesn't need the money. He freely admits to buying a car if he hasn't driven that type before, uses it for a couple of weeks then it gets added to "stock". He *always* accepts trade-ins, and for some really scrotty machinery.

Reply to
DocDelete

Could be worth twice that.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

I have my suspicions - I was erring on the side of caution. I haven't got full details but I think it's supercharged and "open" as in sports coupe...

Reply to
DocDelete

The message from Ben Blaney contains these words:

Unlikely. I would have thought that it would have to be a vintage Bentley to be worth that sort of money, not a RR. My memory is not what it was but ISTR that WOB going bust was right at the end of the vintage era and may well even have been the primary influence for the date for the division between Vintage and PVT.

Reply to
Roger

It could be a Derby Bentley - what James Bond drove in the novels:

See also
They're not seen up for sale much, but when they are - depending on bodywork, and rarity, obviously - they can be up for significant amounts.

This one went for 188K

url:

Ben Blaney

Why ? What's wrong with it ?