Why would anyone want a Classic car?

I think you are being some what overly kind to it's longliverty, or not....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

One inlet and one exhaust pushrod with forked rockers to 4 valves were good enough for Honda on the CX500 to over 9,000 odd rpm. Just for fun they put the heads on twisted at 22 dgrees to the the axis of the engine so instead of being cross flow they are more fore/aft flow.

Reply to
Peter Hill

:::Jerry:::: ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

About 300 miles.

Reply to
Adrian

From what I remember not one major part interchangeable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

  1. It was 5 off-the-shelf straight-6 truck blocks, bolted to a custom crankcase and with the cranks geared together. Late model WW2 Shermans had them (actually I think they were just M4s, not Shermans - same thing, but with Yanks, not squaddies)

There's at least one of these privately owned, rebuilt a year or two ago and now running.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

FFS Jerry - go and read _anything_ on Ford-based motorsport in the '70s or '80s. The differences are well-known and the Ford anoraks can bang on about them for decades.

Not that I ever cared - I hate Fords.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Perhaps if you worked on them rather than just read about them...

There is no doubt that the Cologne engine was better engineered but they both had their problems.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Heh. I suppose Jerry addressed that to me; to no avail, as the useless wanker is in my bozo bin and will remain there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

they were

useless

You are the clueless 'wanker'. That is why you don't want to see my replies as they show up your total ignorance.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Sorry, you've lost me on that one!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Hell's bloody bells!!!

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

The Riley one actually happened. Called Autovia, only 35 were built. Don't know much more than that about it.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In news:42b2110c$0$72345$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.white.readfreenews.net, :::Jerry:::: decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I *much* prefer the Essex V6 lump, personally, the Cologne doesn't have the torque or the sound quality of the Essex, and seems to kill camshafts much more quickly. The Essex is also easier to work on,.

Reply to
Pete M

:::Jerry:::: ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Odd, Jerry, that so many people think you're the clueless wanker, whilst you think so many others are clueless wankers.

Are you wrong, or are many others wrong?

Reply to
Adrian

they were

Yes, there are many clueless idiots on this (and other groups), too ready to believe what someone says on a web s**te or in a magazine which has a vestige interest in pushing an editorial line or two...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Dingley" wrote

The former. One camshaft per bank.

I beg to differ, though perhaps only on the definition of 'marginal'. Putting the water pump at the highest point anywhere in the engine bay means it stops pumping if you lose even a small amount of water, which overheats the engine. I'd call that marginal, meaning it only works at all if it's perfect nick.

Yet rumours persist that Triumph thought about it....

Indeed - my point is simply that there would or should have been a process in which they looked at the issues around putting the Rover unit into the Stag. The engineering feasibility would have been only one part of it. On its own it could have ruled it out but would not have been enough to rule it in.

Reply to
John Redman

"John Redman" wrote in message news:d8uk8o$j0e$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

I read somewhere that when the companies combined there was a meeting to decide future models, what bits should go into what and who should make them. Unfortunately inter company rivalry and jealousy made a bit of a nonsense of this and when the suggestion of putting the Rover V8 into the Stag came up, and it did, the Triumph people said firmly "It won't fit", which was not exactly true, but nobody from Rover bothered to check.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

This is the engine that was responsible for the development of the electronic engine analyser. Rather easier than going round all 30 cylinders shorting the plugs out with a screwdriver - especially an army one with the metal shaft coming all the way up to the top of the handle.

On all cylinders I trust...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Try:

Roj

Reply to
Roger Glover

Tsk, tsk. Grammar!

You mean *vestigial* interest. "Vestigial" seems to be appropriate in more ways than one. HTH.

Reply to
Dean Dark