Wire Suppliers

Any reccomendations for suppliers of automotive wire at good prices? I'm shortly to be re-wiring a couple of cars, and need to look at getting in a sizable quantity of wire.

Want to keep the costs down.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Helps if you state what area you are in !

Reply to
LAC

Also helps if you state what cars they are you are re-wiring. We only do wiring kits with cotton braided cable for pre war Rolls-Royces.

Andy

Splashlube

are very good people to deal with, whether its for a complete loom or a couple of terminals. They seem to sell all the wire size/colour combinations you're likely to need. They're a mile or so from M1 J25 (Nottingham/Derby)

have a good online catalogue, too, but, although they're only a few miles down the road from me I've not dealt with them yet.

Reply to
Autolycus

I sometimes use Vehicle Wiring Products in Derbys (a Google search will reveal their website), but mostly use Beal UK, Albion Mills, Church St, Morley, Leeds.

0113 253 888 who are pretty competitive on pricing.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Mail order will be fine, thank you.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've used them several times and found them very good. Their terminal prices are competitive, and at the time I thought their cut wire so too - didn't check full reel prices. I'd expect they'd do a deal on a large order - as would many.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The Wiring Harness Co (Derby)

01332 810052

Allan Bennett

Try RS,

and Farnell,

Both do catalogues, CD's and the website. Full range of crimps, wire, tools, etc.

Reply to
yeha

To the best of my knowledge, neither sell automotive wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

And some of us care to use the correct wiring colours for our UK cars. (I can even remember most of the colour codes, how sad!).

I'm fortunate in only being 20 minutes drive from Vehicle Wiring Products in Ilkeston, but they are only open for callers on weekdays.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

And trying to trace a fault without having the correct colours would be a nightmare.

And in any case, single cables as supplied by RS etc for electronic connection purposes - even if of the correct gauge - have thinner insulation so are more prone to damage.

Also, RS only supply complete reels. Vehicle Wiring Products etc sell by the meter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

I see that you can now get proper vehicle wiring in the thinner-insulation style.

One niggle with vehicle wire. I believe the insulation material used (PVC?) is slightly permeable to water vapour. As the wire is not tinned, then this can cause the copper to oxidise badly on the surface. Doesn't affect the current flow, but it makes it a bugger if you want to re-terminate the wire.

I wonder why vehicle wire isn't tin coated like normal electronic wiring (cost I guess)

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Hmm. I must confess to having used several same-color wire in the past, each marked at both ends with color coding in the correct colors. All is fine untill you have a break in the middle of the loom.

Alex

Reply to
Alex