Wire wheels?

I'm about to purchase a set of chromed wire wheels. Anyone in here who knows facts about the quality of the different brands?

I've got the following impression after having read peoples opinions:

- Dunlops are made in India i.e. they are cheep and have the poorest quality (?)

- MWS are better - but also made in India (?)

- Dayton are the best and expensieve (but is that just the chrome quality - or are they better in all aspects?)

- There are smaller local fabricants in the UK (how is their quality?)

I need a set off nice looking wheels only for the summer, so they will not get out in the winter. Will I benefit from paying more for the best quality?

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Nørgaard Andersen

Nothing wrong with Indian Dunlops - all the machinery went there when UK production ceased. I've got a set myself. I'd trust MWS.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Why does being made in India imply poor quality?

Reply to
Doug

in

Hear, hear. The rules of the game are different there - manual labour is cheap, other things are expensive. So if you buy a new Enfield India (basically a fifties Royal Enfield bike) the mudguards and petrol tank have been hand made by a bloke with a hammer, and none the worse for that. The only difference between the India model and the original Brit version is that the Indian one doesn't leak oil.

Going back to the original question, there was someone advertising a few years ago Brit made wire wheels and by implication criticizing the Indian ones. The Brit ones were absolute rubbish. No idea about the chrome quality - the spokes broke long before anything else wore out. Tip - look at the part where the spoke goes into the rim. It should thicken out considerably in the last half inch or so. If it doesn't, walk away.

Try the cowboys, then give the Indians a chance.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

wrote

If what you are talking about is the spoke nipple, I cant honestly see how any wire wheel would be able to stay together without nipples being fitted to the ends of the spokes?

Reply to
Norman Stuart

No, some spokes are larger diameter where the nipple screws on, so that the spoke isn't weakened by the reduced diameter caused by cutting the thread for the nipple.

Reply to
Stan Barr

Rolled threads!

Reply to