Wolseley 15/50 / MG Magnette

A friend has just bought a Wolseley 15/50 shell (same as MG Magnette ZA & ZB?) with the intention of removing any good bits and weighing the rest in for scrap, but it seems far too good to destroy as the shell is surprisingly rust free. There are no doors, interior, glass, bootlid or any panels forward of the bulkhead. So it's not viable as a project without a donor car. The running gear is still fitted, including what looks like a Gold Seal engine. A second engine and two more gearboxes came with the car. Any suggestions what the hell to do with it, gratefully received, as are any ideas about other vehicles that shared the same mechanics. Early MGA perhaps?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Quite a few differences, actually.

Sounds like most of the useful panels have gone - including those interchangeable with the Magnette.

Basic engine gearbox and diff with like age B series cars. Diff ratio may not be. But the front suspension is very different. Most want to uprate to the later B series stuff like from the 1622 series etc, so may be of limited value unless in excellent condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the shell itself? There's not a lot of detail on the web about these, but the only differences I've found are column versus floor gearchanges (this 15/50 has a floor change) and the enlarged, wrap around rear window of the Varitone, which was apparently cut into the standard shells after they were made. My first thought was that anyone restoring a rusty, non Varitone Magnette would find this shell invaluable, but I'm quite prepared to be corrected.

That makes sense. So it's looking slightly less Philistine to scrap the thing. Thanks Dave.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's been some years since I've owned a ZB, but as I remember it, there were few panels in common between this and the Wolseley 4/44. I remember the roof panel and the rear doors being common as regards external panels, I suspect there were otherse beneath the skin. I know less information about the 15/50, but form pictures I can see it at least had the flared sills of the preceding 4/44, so I suspect the body had more incommon with it's predecessor than the ZB. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

So it has, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks. I'm taking this afternoon off to fiddle with the car - although it belongs to a friend, it's sitting on my drive - so should soon have a better idea of its good and bad points.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

According to Clausager's superb "MG Saloon Cars" book, the Wolseley 4/44 was introduced before the ZA because it used an available version of the MG XPAG engine (designated XPAW), whereas the MG needed more power to achieve its sporting image, and this was to be provided by the B series engine as soon as the Austin-Morris marriage was properly consumated. Although originally intended to have many common parts, the decision to make the 4/44 2" higher meant that the only major body pressings it shared with the ZA were the roof, front doors, and boot lid. The sills were of different section, the wheelarches did not cut so high into the wings, and the propshaft tunnel didn't intrude so far. It also had smaller brakes. Clausager described the 15/50 as largely unchanged from the 4/44 apart from a low-compression B series engine and floor change.

Rubbish! Have you contacted the Wolseley register - someone must love them! As with the later Farina Magnettes *, they're a car that's quietly disappeared.

  • I want one
Reply to
Autolycus

Excellent summary. Thanks for taking the time.

When I was searching for info, one of the first things I found was a posting on their website from my friend who owns the car. So yes, they should be aware by now.

I used to be regularly overtaken by a nutter in a white one with flames painted along the wings. How in the hell he managed to get it going so fast and survive, I'll never know.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Thanks for all that - it's nudged the failing memory. And of course the front end had major differences due to the totally different bonnet/grille arrangements. I also *guess* the mountings for the dash assembly were different too - the Wolseley one being further away from the driver. So would be a major job to modify from one marque to another - probably more so than just repairing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hi i have a 1956 15/50 i am chasing parts i am in au and carnt get them over hear can eny one help my email is snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au thanks bret

url:

Bret cahill

It's been used as a donor already by that article. Which prpbably means those parts are already rare.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was thinking that as well, but there are some cars around that you could get the parts, there 's a bloke at Picton with a shed full.

Rob.