wtd: tow from Nuneaton to Leeds

anyone know a good deal to move my Viva to Leeds form Nuneaton, its got MOT and tax, but has electrical issues that are going to be sorted in Leeds, looking for cheap and legal way to get it there? ideas??

Reply to
Annteak

A rope or rigid bar tow for that distance would be hard work for the towing car, the driver of the towing car, and the poor mutt forced to sit six feet from its back bumper for 110 miles. You'd have to be prepared to convince Mr Plod you'd just broken down, too.

Hiring a trailer is an option, but with a Viva weighing what, 3/4 ton at least? and even a small trailer at least 1/2 ton, not all cars would be legal to tow that weight - and not all drivers either qualified (must have passed test before 97 or taken a separate trailer test), or confident to do so. You'd pay between 30 and 60 quid for a day's trailer hire - but watch out for some very ropey ones.

So you're forced into the greedy, grabbing, hands of someone like me. I'd charge about £115, subject to confirmation of collection and delivery points. Please drop me an email if you want to take this any further.

Reply to
Autolycus
£115 Blimey, more than some of the scum on eBay !!, no seriously I have had quotes around the same as you, but was sorta hopping some nice person would do it for Half?

Reply to
Annteak

Half of that would just about cover the fuel so you expect a days labour for nothing? How about putting the £115 towards the cost of finding an auto electrician in Nuneaton? Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

well one has to ask, :)

No not at all

try finding one who wants to work on a 1970's car!

seems they all want weekends and evenings off, thats the only time i have spare. So the choice is limited to Quickfit, Nationwide and or a Main dealers, Most just want to know where to plug in the PC to diagnose the issue :O

on the other hand, once in Leeds the car will be fixed, its also going to have a full service, check over, a new dash and carpet installed, door window winder replaced, all as a favour, so cost is zero in money terms (for those of you who have heard of a LETS scehme thats how its being paid for). So getting a trailer hire and or tow on the same basis would of been great.

Reply to
Annteak

well one has to ask, :)

No not at all

try finding one who wants to work on a 1970's car!

seems they all want weekends and evenings off, that's the only time I have spare. So the choice is limited to Quickfit, Nationwide and or a Main dealers, Most just want to know where to plug in the PC to diagnose the issue :O

on the other hand, once in Leeds the car will be fixed, its also going to have a full service, check over, a new dash and carpet installed, door window winder replaced, all as a favour, so cost is zero in money terms (for those of you who have heard of a LETS scheme that's how its being paid for). So getting a trailer hire and or tow on the same basis would of been great.

Reply to
Annteak

Go on then - what's a LETS scheme?

Reply to
M B

scratch my back i scratch yours is best way to describe

Reply to
Annteak

What's to diagnose? Providing the electrics are basically sound.... the distributer not knackered and the coil OK, it should be reasonably easy to get it running, so it can make it under it's own steam. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

message

well it starts fine, no probs there doesnt charge battery however

simple its the alternator, woroing 3 diff alterantors same problem

oksy its the loom, wrong tried two diff looms each hand checked

okay its the battery, wrong battery tested good and tried 2 others same problem

okay its some widgit inbetween the alternator and the battery, wrong all have been replaced and tested 100% good?

so its off to Leeds to see a car electronics expert!

Reply to
Annteak

Kevin's done collections for me and I'm currently waiting to hear back from a seller on another one.

First rate service and worth every penny. :-)

As others have said it's not like we have cheap fuel in this country, how much would it cost to "drive" the car or the towing vehicle for a start not to mention the hassle you'd get if pulled over.

I've been towed by the AA once on a fixed bar and it's not something I'd choose to do for any money, 50mph less than 2 foot from the back of a van you can't see past is not nice.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

If that's all it is, there's no problem. I'd just stick a charged battery in it and go. Fully charged, a battery will have more than enough juice in it to drive 100 miles during daylight. The ignition circuit draws comparitivly little current. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Quick question - obvious one I know - does the little light come on when you turn the key ?

May be obvious, but the circuit for the little light goes through the brushes of the alternator (on the HC with the AC Delco one anyhow). On mine - many years ago) the little brush wire broke. Doesn't show up other than when you first turn the key before starting (no light) and when the headlights go out :o)

Was a dirt cheap little kit to fix it, but took me three hours to figure out how to get the alternator back together (the Haynes says "we don't recommend you take this alternator apart" !). You need to put a stiff wire through the base and the little hole between the brushes to hold them off the commutator while you put it back together.

Reply to
Mark W

Well I had one of the alternators refurbished, so I doubt its the alternator TBH, suspect its some weird wire earthling, and its a HC with a AC Delco as yours is

Reply to
Annteak

Already tried that one, its gets about 45 miles before it dies, (luckily I had a spare battery in the boot for such an emergency) I don't have the spare anymore and if I die on the motorway I don't fancy the cold wait for the AA (no engine running = no heating ) BRRRRRRRRR

good idea mind, but I aint so liberal when it comes to my items.

News Flash, Leeds person is coming to collect the car herself, will cost £65 all in, Thanks for those that replied with offers, your all stars

Reply to
Annteak

All I can say is that is, the battery was either on it's way out, or not fully charged. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

maybe, but all now immaterial as collection arranged :) thanks anyways for the ideas.

Reply to
Annteak

Oh well, just a thought, as the check is so easy - one from the memory vaults. The car, alas, went to a neighbors nephew some 10 years ago, who applied it to a tree and then a scrapyard.

Reply to
Mark W

Isn't it also the case that if the charge warning light bulb goes, that can 'impact' charging? I recall reading that somewhere. I have a Firenza which is basically the same, and having rebuilt the loom from scratch I can't think what could be causing your problem.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

IIRC yes - the bulb is in series with the brushes.

Reply to
Mark W