XJ6 S3 - Separating rear exhausts

I (think I) need to separate the rear sections of the exhausts from the bendy sections before them so that I can remove the IRS unit. I've undone the bolt-together exhaust joints but it's the push-fitted join just forward of the rear silencers I'm unsure of how to separate. I don't want to cut the exhausts because they're stainless steel and obviously I'd like to re-use them. Of course the XJ6 manuals just give the advice "separate the exhaust sections"...

I suspect that I'll need to heat the join - with one of those disposible canister torches (with the fuel tanks drained first!)?

I'm pretty friendly with the local exhaust guy so if it's something a bit too skilled for my DIYing I can probably get him up, but that would be against my doing it all myself aim.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

-----------------------------

1984 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Sovereign 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S 1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
Reply to
Jonathan

Not had to do it on this particular car, but in general a good soaking in diesel fuel helps to ease the join on stainless steel exhausts when you take it apart. Worked on my E, which is pretty similar.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

There's a school of thought that reckons it's safer with the tank full. Don't recommend it either way myself...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson