XJS speed in gears

Hello there,

I've recently got my hands on a 4.0 XJS. The speedo gets to about 50 and then starts wobbling about, before heading upwards. The result is a shortfall of about 5-10 mph.

Does anybody know what the speed in gears are? Per 1,000 revs in fourth and fifth (it's a manual). I have googled but can't see anything obvious anywhere.

Then I can work out how inaccurate it is. I am a bit worried about being pulled up in a 50 and trying to explain why I was doing 60.

It gets tricky on motorways too, everybody appears to be doing 65, which can't be right!

Ta.

Reply to
chris.lloyd

A better bet is to borrow a gps off someone, this will eliminate rev counter errors too !!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Perhaps a new speedo or speedo cable might be the answer in the first instance.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well yes at some point, until then I would llike to know.

I get nervious when things break on the XJS - everything appears to cost rather a lot and there are more pressing concerns such as the wet footwells!

OT alert

How do you get your name to appear above your posts? I appear to have a trunkated e-mail address instead.

Reply to
chris.lloyd

Wet footwells are almost always caused by a blocked drain in the heating plenum chamber. You need to find the drains under the car (rubber tubes) and rod them out using a long flexible wire. The sort of thing used to hang up lace curtains is ideal.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd be surprised if a 4 litre XJS had a mechanical speedo.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In which case, that it works at all is a miracle...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You know, I think you're right.. ISTR the 4.0 had an electronic one. Mine did.

best place to find out about this kind of malarky appears to be

I think thats the url anyway, CBA to look. Trying to book a hotel I'm going to need in 5 hours.

Reply to
Pete M