'02 Spring Split

My friend's vette front spring split and had to be replaced. We would like to know if others have had similar problems?

Reply to
wdlanning

I've not seen a service bulletin on this for the '02. IIRC, there was a post on a cracked spring, either here or in the Corvette Forum--perhaps two or three yeara ago. IIRC it related to an older car. might have a good feel for any history.

Opinion: Since the basic design has been in production for many years there shouldn't be any widespread problems--particularly for a C5.

This design should provide a visible warning of progressive failure. A sudden catastrophic event seems unlikely (assuming the suspension gets an occasional inspection).

I've had severe road shocks to both my '89 and my '02. Worst cases follow:

Eighteen months ago RF & RR wheels on the C4 ran over a heavy bumper while traveling

75mph. Nasty damage to the RF tire, internal damage to the RR. No visible spring issues since the 'hit.' Car has 'soft-ride' suspension so springs absorbed most of the shock.

On an offramp from the Ensenada toll road at night, I ran the C5 into a pot hole that nearly 'cured' my piles while loosening my remaining teeth. With the suspension set for 'TOUR' the spring wasn't getting much help from the shock. Again, no visible issues.

Looks like a very rugged item .

Reply to
PJ

The only issue I can recall was some springs were nicked and were replaced to prevent possible failure later and I can't remember where I read it or what to look for. May have been and installation problem or service induced damage. Either way the failure or possible failure was from prior damage to the integrity of the spring. The fiberglass spring is a mature technology and seldom fail without good reason.

Reply to
Dad