1962 corvette concern.

Hi guys,

Question 1: I am looking at buying a 1962 corvette. It had a frame off restore in 1989 and paint job(Honduras Maroon). It is in good shape, with just some mino r scratches and stuff. The engine (1965) and transmission are not matching numbers. I am going to need to work on the front right breaks as it pulls to the right.

Is $41k a good price for a 1962 in "good" condition with out knowing how ma ny miles are on the engine?

Question 2: This is the first time i got a good look at a 1962 corvette. I was surprise d when I looked inside the front tire well and there is nothing that protec ts the underside of the painted fiberglass from rocks. I can see the back side of the headlights when I look around the front tire. Is that right o r is the car missing the front wheel wells or something?

I found a photo of a 1962 corvette that has been in an accident. This phot o shows that there is nothing above the front tire. (This is not the care I am looking at buying)

jpg

Thanks for your help and advice.

Reply to
randallccole

89 and paint job(Honduras Maroon). It is in good shape, with just some mi nor scratches and stuff. The engine (1965) and transmission are not matchi ng numbers. I am going to need to work on the front right breaks as it pull s to the right.

many miles are on the engine?

sed when I looked inside the front tire well and there is nothing that prot ects the underside of the painted fiberglass from rocks. I can see the ba ck side of the headlights when I look around the front tire. Is that right or is the car missing the front wheel wells or something?

There are no inner fender panels. That is the reason that the fenders are s usceptible to having "Stars" in the paint on top from rocks being thrown up by the tires. This is true for the rear also.

PDDeen

oto shows that there is nothing above the front tire. (This is not the car e I am looking at buying)

Reply to
PDDeen

This your first Corvette? Since it is not matching numbers, it is a driver. Be sure to NOT PAY TOO MUCH. My first Corvette was a 64 which I still have and was not matching numbers. Luckily I did not pay too much but I did not pay too little either. Live and learn. If you are a fanatic like I was 23 years ago when I got my 64, you will spend hours reading books, buying parts, and tinkering with your car. I found things right, found things wrong, made things right, found things not worth making right, found things not right but could not figure out why, etc. Saw values go up, values go down, saw similar cars at the swap meet asking way too much just sit. got bored and my car just sat. etc. Bought and sold another Vette in the mean time. etc. These guys that spend $100k on the 'perfect vette' are taking a risk that you would not believe. Never get in that camp unless you are worth $3M and can reliably check out the numbers YOURSELF. Otherwise buy the cheapest vette you can that is in good working order and looks good. You will not be sorry. Save the get rich quick schemes for real estate and the stock market.

Reply to
uncle_vito