1962 Frame SN # Location Question

I`ve owned my 62 Vette for about 20 years and now I`m thinking of doing some sort of restoration. When I bought the Vette I was not interested in "matching numbers". (you may flame me )
My question --- Is removing the body the only way to read the serial number on the frame ? Will the number match the vin # or will it be the production number only ? 5 digits.
Thanks in advance for any help.