1963 brake fluid capacity?

How many quarts/pints of silicone brake fluid will I need to re-fill my entire system (4 wheels+master cylinder and all new lines) and some extra to
bleed system for initial start-up? It is all shoes system- w/ no power or discs. Thanx- lib
lib wrote:

Check the back of your shop manual, it says 0.65 pints... but you are going to need more than that in order to bleed the system... I'd suggest you buy a quart.
When I went online to purchase the brake fluid, Eckler's and Corv.Central both say 2 quarts are requ'd to fill a dry system. At $25 a quart I think I better do a bit more research before ordering- lib

You want to remember that you will also have just a bit softer brake pedal with silicone than you will with the required DOT fluid. Something to consider when you most likely don't have power and they are drum brakes.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Curious as to why you want to put silicone in, given the issues it has with moisture?
lib wrote:

lib wrote:

You can likely find brake fluid at a local parts store, some do carry it in stock (I just bought some the other day and they had it in quarts and pints)... ask them if you can return a quart unopened if you don't use it (they have a foil seal glued on the bottle mouth); or, buy a quart and if that isn't enough to complete the bleeding process, go get another quart. Although, I always like to have some extra around the garage for future use.
CC/Eckler's advice is for midyears, and 4-wheel disk brakes have 4x as many wheel cylinders as your car, of larger diameter, plus a larger capacity master cylinder http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid 134&dept%5Fid48 My guess is a quart will do it for your car.
Let us know what you find out when you do the job.