1967 corvette convertible (fair price)

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

=====================\ No I can not hit a baseball into 4 states from my driveway....BUT Maybe I could hit 3 States with a Golf Ball .... Yea I can be in Penna in about 30 minutes... and into either West Virginia or Virginia in under 15 minutes... So I guess I will agree with you that that does not count... LOL
As far as the snow was concerned...It sure was not much
BUT
it honestly was worth the price of admission it to watch some of the drivers either intentionally drive over the snow (so they could say they drove their Corvette in snow..) or watch some others drive around the patchs of snow so they could in all honestly say they never drove their Corvette in Snow..
I do not know if I drove over any snow...it was no big deal
BUT
I did hike back into the woods thru snow to find a tree to hide behind at one point..... got back in the car and within 200 yards found a "Comfort Station"....always happens!
Bob G..
This thread has gotten a little long..and at one point I was hoping it would not end up in a big Flame War... which it has not but I have not finished reading it completely yet... hope it stays civil...

I been biting my tongue all along trying to let him ease up civilly but he keeps jumping back in with both feet. How's the sewing coming along ? kickstart

Well I didnt cross any state lines but managed to hit 4 car shows around central FL and rack up 400 miles today

Its not a price thing , its an enjoyment thing ..... understand yet? I also have an 01 convertible with 105k miles, looking to get an 06 pretty soon and put lots of miles on it too. My girlfriend drives it to work every day, she loves it . I have a 57 Chevy sedan delivery , modern interior and not quite stock running gear, I drive it at least once a week, same as the 79. They are all worth something money wise, but that is not why I have them, they are fun as shit to drive, keep clean and looking good. I also have a few Harleys but we don't have to touch on that I'm sure you wouldn't understand them either.
Enjoy your portfolio Mark

Sorry........ not Mark ....... Tom

Isn't that the point? If you drive as part of NCRS, NCOA, NCCC, or as an individual, then that fullfulls your demand that cars be driven and enjoyed, doesn't it?
So why single out NCRS to make a derogatory comment about them for doing something you do - drive and enjoy their cars.?

You didn't quote the whole paragraph. I said
"This left owners to enjoy their cars in any way they wanted. That is pretty much true with the '74 to '89 Corvettes. But the other years, that isn't the case, and this '67 that Mark is looking at is about the peak of the cars that must be checked very, very well to keep from overspending."
So with a '74 to '89, you can do whatever you feel like to enjoy the car. Paint it any color. Modify the body. Drop a 383 or 406 in it. Whatever. Nothing hurts the value, and probalby helps as it makes them better.
That is what Corvettes were about once upon a time, and what they were supposed to be about. Buy it, drive it, build it, drive faster.
You can do anything you want to any Corvette for that matter, but would you really buy an original '67 and drop a 406 with nitrous or tub it or something similar?

Did you buy or build your '57? If you built it, you understand how you invest your time and energy to get what you enjoy. How do you feel when someone talks about how straight the body is, especially if you spent ten weeks straightening sheet metal? The hours of painting and sanding are repaid when someone comes up and says "Man, it is like a mirror! The paint is ten miles deep!"
You also understand how in a row of '57s, the value of each is different. One may have had the body stripped bare, all rust repaired, the chassis blasted and put back together, all new parts on the suspension, and so on.
Another may have the cancer in the body hidden with bondo and fresh bc/cc.
A third may have a great body but the chassis is 48 years old.
Obviously, you know what to look for and how to tell the better car. In this example, that should be easy, but you no doubt know more specifics if you built yours. The way the suspension is mounted. The type of motor mounting and transmission mounting. Where the rust pockets are and how to tell if they were fixed right. Places where people take short cuts or spend an extra 40 hours to get that one part right. And while the differences may be obvious to you, they are not to those who have never done this.
You've probably looked at old Chevies and said the guy is out of his mind asking that kind of money with this type of crappy work.
The same is true with a '67, except heightened 10 fold. Instead of a wide spread of these three to get prices from $4000 to $30,000, with a '67 you are dealing with a few numbers or a few parts that can determine if the car is worth $175,000 or $50,000. Even on the small blocks, he could easily be in a spread of $25,000 to $60,000.
That is one expensive mistake to make.
I bet it would be really hard to enjoy that '57 if suddenly you lost $20,000 over it.
I see it all the time in Corvettes. People buy what they think is fair, then discover they overpaid by $10 or $20,000. I've seen some recently get raked for those $50,000 mistakes. There was guy at Barrett Jackson that bought a 435 hp for $150,000 or more in January. The serial matched a '67 in an ad 3 years ago which was an original small block and different color. I bet he enjoys that car to no end, knowing he just got stuck for $100,000. I know B-J bought him some drinks, but did he get dinner for the screwing he got?
Paying too much takes a lot of fun out of it.
If it didn't, Dad would have bought that '64 from that lady last spring.
Harleys? I understand them. As the sticker said a long time ago,
$15,000 and 15 miles don't make you a biker.

Snip
In the case of the '64 it was an easy choice and in that situation she has tried more than once to set the value. She has even come back to me and ask if I would "dress it up and get it on the road" so it would have a better value. It's still a nice '64 that has sit in a garage for 25 years with a bad paint job. Nothing debatable because she is the second owner in '65 with a ton of parts that have been replaced and all of the paper to go with it. At the time I lived in another state one block from her and she liked my '64 coupe that I sold but she wanted and got a convertible. My guess is that it will come out of the garage and one of the Corvette jockeys will get it and it will get a BJ. It has never been on the market and the unknown serial number has become more valuable than the vehicle. Sad, but it's the reason that "buyer beware" is reason for this thread.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Stingray's referenced posts when "Tom in Missouri" wrote in message

Tom, you are what is commonly referred to as a selective or poor listener. Or perhaps you just have a short memory/attention span. I wasn't attacking an originality group whatsoever. I reposted my latest post for your benefit. It reads "Trailers are for horses, not for cars and certainly not for Vettes". Now Tom. just where was I "attacking an originality group" in that statement?? Are you implying that original cars must be trailered??? If you've ever been to any major show, you'd know that many custom vehicles are also trailered, not just originals!?
Now as for calling me "a guy who on 10/17/05 attacked a 1976 Corvette for being unoriginal with a Daytona kit on it.", you are way off base on that comment. First of all I wasn't "attacking a 1976 Corvette for being unoriginal". I was merely commenting on what I considered an absolutely horrible hack job. Let me quote those comments as well, to refresh your apparent poor memory:
"I was just surfing the web and came across the attached abomination. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, IMHO, this car would rank amongst the most gawd-awful and overpriced cars I have ever seen.
http://www.sylmar.ca/autoville/inventaire/1976-chevroletcorvettestingraydaytona.html "
Now Tom, you may note that I commented that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I stated that in my humble opinion this car would rank amongst the most gawd-awful and overpriced cars I have ever seen. Since you never joined that thread Tom, it occurs to me that perhaps you thought that the Daytona kit car was a thing of beauty and were offended by my comments in that thread. Although, if you think it was, you really should have another look. Gosh, I hope that wasn't your car!
In any event, Tom, neither of my comments were contradictory and I stand behind both of my comments:
1) That '76 "IMHO, . . . would rank amongst the most gawd-awful and overpriced cars I have ever seen."
2) "Trailers are for horses, not for cars and certainly not for Vettes."
Damn guy's I think he got his answer or at least you scared him out of the group, Good going children................
--

Sort of like your first ride in the passenger seat. Like my Dad in his first and last ride with me in a Corvette and he was a fast driver on a first name basis with a number of State Police.
--

Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

ZRiX wrote:

Zerox, I just noticed that you are with Cox Communications and that reminds me of an old joke: Did you buy your searsucker suit at Cox or did you buy your suit at Sears?
I think he thought it was like those price guides where you check off the options and that gives you the price.