1971 Corvette--Problems Starting

Have a 71 Corvette that has been sitting for about 6 years....Put a decent amount of stableizer in the tank before it sat. Replaced the coil, condenser and the points under the cap looked to be o.k.-- Any other
suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what to look for to get the car starting.-Charlie NJ
--ps-- The engine spins with out a problem and i tried a little bit of starting fluid into the carb and it wouldnt run for even a sec or two.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.corvette / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
there also seems to be no spark coming out of the new coil that was replaced...
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.corvette / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
Check the point gap. It might of slipped or as I once did: I used the lubricant that comes with some points and the first time it spun around, the lubricant coated the point contacts. It acted as an insulator!
Chuckyg wrote:

--
snipped-for-privacy@wahoo.org

Set for 6 years?
I'd start at the ignition primary and work my way through all of the secondary to include the wires and plugs. A simple contact set test with the ignition on will tell you if the primary is hot.
A '71 should have a Q-Jet carb on it. If so, it is probably a mess from drying out and sitting. I'd pull that, clean it out, check if the fuel bowl plugs have been epoxied, and put a new carb kit in it.
The composite float is probably a goner, as they usually sink after a few years. Replace it with the brass float.
If it ran for a few seconds, then you have fire. Many times people think there is no spark when the spark is just hard to see in daylight.