1971 vette amp question?

Good day,
I took my 71 out for a spin and gas this morning, and noticed the amp. meter was over charging. When I disconnected the neg. terminal on the
battery I noticed it was pretty warm. When I felt the alternator it was too hot to touch. I put the thermometer on it and got a 225 deg. reading. I'm thinking "new alternator".
How do I know if I need a 63Amp or 85Amp?
Thanks for your help, Steve
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
If the car is stock, all you need is 63 amps. If you have added a big sound system, driving lights, high output lights, or other power-consuming options, you may need more than the stock 63 amps. However, your stock wiring will not handle larger current draws so you need to wire these extras to the battery by separate wiring so you don't burn up your existing wiring.
It also sounds like your alternator had gone bad and is on constant charge.

Tom.......New regulator time....your alternator will put out whatever the regulator tells it to do...possible battery problem as well....disconnect your batt and hook jumpers to a known good battery in another car as a test only.....if it still overcharges its the regulator