1980 L48 L82 Question

Several years ago I purchased and 1980 corvette just for fun and not as a collectable. After reading many posts on this message board, I may have found a rare vehicle.

The car has decals indicating it is an L82 in front of each door panel and this looks like they are factory applied.

Here is my research:

- The 5th digit of the VIN (1Z878AS410061) indicates that the car is a L48.

- The car has a 4 speed manual transmission.

- The pad in front of the passenger side value cover has these markings: V1129 A

1AS410061 I am guessing but these indicate that the engine does match my VIN since the last 5 digits match. The V indicates the motor was built at the Flint factory on Nov. 29th.

- I can't find the 3 digit code such as ZAM ZAK on the pad.

One person's post indicated that 4 speed manuals with the L82 option were produced as seen here, "10-15 L-82 4-speeds were built and sold very early in the model year, before Chevy cancelled it due to emission restrictions".

Can it be possible I have a L48 car according to the VIN but have the L82 engine upgrade with the 4 speed manual transmission?

Appreciate any help from experienced C3 owners.

Reply to
vetteboy9x9

does your speedo have an L-82 insignia/markings on it ? Anything is possible, of course someone making some changes along the line are also likely some possible help here:

can Carfax Help ?
maybe here
of places to lookjust keep trying

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

Thanks for the reply kickstart.

The speedo does not have any markings that would indicate an L82.

I did find the engine block casting number # 14010207 and the intake manifold, casting # 14014432.

Various websites indicate that the engine is a 350 with 2 or 4 bolt mains and an Aluminum Intake which all C3s had.

The search goes on.

Reply to
vetteboy9x9

_____________________ L 82 cars used different cabs, and different distributers among other parts then the L 48 & Republic of Kalifornia cars...

BOTH of which sit right on top of the engine so verifing what you have on the engine in yoru car "by the numbers" should give you a big clue....

Not sure of the actual numbers...but the Black Book and many other sources whould have them...

Bob G. .

Reply to
Bob G.

I keep saying it....spend 10 bucks and join the C3 Registry..

... plenty of forums devoted to both general and specific parts/problems/ fixes, and questions of the C3....

Bob G.

64 72 & 98 Ragtops 76 & 79 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks Bob, c3vr.com is a great web site/community and very active with lots of members.

Reply to
vetteboy9x9

I did this last night and found out to my dissapointment that I do have an L48 "by the numbers". The combination of the block casting number, distributor and the carborator all indicate that I have a 190 HP 350. Looks like I will give the guy who sold it to me a call. Nothing I can do now except tell the guy how nice it was to overpay for an L48 with 2 $32.95 decals. Caulk this up to one of those educational experiences. The car looks a little different now... I will have to learn to love her all over again ;)

Reply to
vetteboy9x9

First, don't feel alone. Once upon a time, almost all first time used Corvette buyers were taken.

Second, it is really no big deal. Now the L82 and L48 have a lot of differences, but realistically, you can make those pretty small.

L82 - better crank, better rods, better cam. Different distributor and carb are due to different tuning specs and emissions requirements.

So on the street, the better crank and rods will not mean much to you. But the cam will. Change the cam, readjust the carb, send the distributor out to have recurved, and enjoy.

In reality, the car hasn't changed. It is the same as it was two days ago. Did you like it then? Then like it now. Change cams and like it more.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I think I said that I am a lifetime member ...and I'm failrly frugal on spending money to join clubs etc...BUT in this case the money was well spent... Have been stumped more then a few times with one of my cars and went online and posted a question... Heck when I was having distributer problems I had my answer and had the car fixed in less then 3 hours for my post to having the problem solved and fixed and the car out on the road...

I would not be upset with an L48 UNLESS you really forked over a LOT of extra money for a L82... because in my book the L 82 is worth about

100 bucks more then the L 48... not much! especially if you factor in that both engines almost never are rebuilt to stock ..

Enjoy the car.... drive it and have fun...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.