1984 Corvette opinions

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Having bought an 84 with less than 60k miles on it back in 2000 kept it 3 years . It was my first Corvette. Since then I have 98 and a 2005. Do you want to know something. My Wife and I think about going out to find another 84. Why? Because it is one of the best values out there. It is a Fun Car Everybody stays away from them because of all the dimwitted answers you heard here. But let me tell you something. Of course the ride is a little harsh. What do you expect from a car that for it's time has a suspension that is set up as close as you can get to a race car and still drive it on the street. It sticks to the road like glue. Not unlike an old Chevy Blazer or Ford Bronco but more fun to drive. Do not forget that at the time it came out it was the most critically acclaimed car of its day. It set the bar very high for handling after years of Corvettes being kind of a joke. When I was a kid of the 64 Sting Ray was a marvel and I like many others fell in love it. I wanted to own a Vette when I got older. But by the time I could afford one, they were toothless. Just a shadow of its former self. The 84 C4 was a new kind of Vette. A clean slate, a Modern Vette and an Engineering Marvel. Think back of what other cars were around at that time that had any kind of appeal. The Datsun Z? it too was a shell of it's former self. A Toyota Supra, Please give me a Break. This car was being compared to Porsche's 911 and was coming out ahead for the First time. So to all you snobby nay-sayers out there I say "Laugh it up Fuzzballs" Keep the prices low. That will make owning a Corvette affordable for a newbie. I'll keep looking and maybe I will find another 84 in good condition cheap and buy it so my wife and I can go out and have fun.

Fixed my reply to make a little more sense
Actually I find the 1984 to be an interesting car in that it was the first of the NEW BREED "world class" Corvettes ...
The ride was harsh...and it was harsh because it was meant to be Firm...real firm ! ajust turns out that many people would rather had the car handle a tad less so their own personal rear end was more comfortable... so GM softened it up in 1985.
The cross fire engine is fine...really not a big deal in my opinion... and I never heard of many 82 owners who complained about misfiring >>> the big drawback is that there are not alot of after market bold on suppliers who supply parts for the engine...
Personally I would not mind buying a 84....if it were low milage and in very very good shape... BUT NOT AS A DRIVER... not even as a fun car to take out in the evening on the local twisties and relieve my tensions .. The deal maker for me would be if it had the original tires with the indented lettering...and that darn star wars dash better work .. LOL
Bob G.
ok.. so make me an offer ( I can't refuse)....minse still have the original tires...
Fwed

100k miles in the mid GA area per Auto-Trader have asking prices around ranging 10 -15k.An 85 with 2400 miles had an asking prices of 19. If you can find something nice at a good price, I would jump on it.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040507020205050601040405 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
tww wrote:

of things that deteriorate with age. Not with mileage or use. Dunno. I just don't think I would. I think I would look for a decent c5 iffin I was out to spend 19K.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
'The first year of a new model is always the most valuable 30 yrs in the future ssome '
REPLY: Its usually the most problematic (at the time it comes out) too.
The answer is simple - don't buy the first year when new. Give them 4 or 5 years to find the bugs, fix them, and then buy it used.
Does anyone really think '53s, '63s, '68s, '84s, and '97s are running around with the production issues they had today?
First, any daily driver at the time would have had the dealer fix under warranty all the bugs and goofs in the first year or two. Second, any restored car would have had those issues fixed.
'The first year of a new model is always the most valuable 30 yrs in the future
ssome '
REPLY: Its usually the most problematic (at the time it comes out) too.
Well, I saw the owner today after church, and I may make an offer soon. I'll keep you guys psoted. Happy Thanksgiving. Bill

message