1988 Corvette

I just purchased this corvette from a private owner. This is my first corvette and I have a couple inquires and a few issues with it. 1).Exactly how does this 4+3 Manuel trans. work? 2).I need to get a manuel
book for this year? Issues: No key to remove top? One headlight only flips-out half way and stops.

don't know, never owned one..

http://tinyurl.com/32yg3r
if its like my 84 ? you can get something to fit it at the parts store..

probably stripped gear. there are places that rebuild the motor assemblies. http://tinyurl.com/3dqueu
g'day -- "Key"

I bought one of these, they work great :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C4-CORVETTE-TARGA-TOP-WRENCH-RACHET-ROOF-PANEL-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42612QQihZ007QQitemZ170099338757QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

photo1 wrote:

For Owner's Manual (describes controls and how it all works) and Corvette Maintenance manuals:
< www.helminc.com > or go shopping on ebay.
Headlamp: I'd guess the cushioning 'gel' in the gearbox has dried and turned to crumbs (usually happens when the car is 8-12 years old.)
Inexpensive delrin rollers (with instructions) are available from Ecklers or Mid-America. These lock the gearbox (eliminating the gel) and you can install them yourself. Hold off ordering the gear until you get the gearbox open. If you don't have (or desire) a set of metric sockets, a variety of torx wrenches and a set of metric combination wrenches, go for a commercial rebuild. Suggest not buying new motors and gear boxes -- motors seldom fail and parts are available for the gearbox internals.
Tip: There was superb manufacturing uniformity in the headlamp gear boxes. If one has failed, the other one will fail within a few months (;-).
< www.ecklers.com > < www.madvet.com >
Roof Panel: 'key is correct (change in roof attachment occurred in '89). The roof, when attached, is a part of the frame structure. A small ratchet with an adapter (probably torx) to engage the screw heads is what you need. Torque for the '89 is 34 foot pounds (check '88 maintenance manual). Make sure these are snugged before you maneuver the car. If they are loose, you can damage the roof panel frame during aggressive cornering.
Congratulations & welcome. No cell phone use in the driver's seat, one hand must be available to wave!
-- PJ
"Save over $8.00 when comparing to the Eckler's Corvette Headlight Rebuild Kit."
http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html
Look in 'Electrical' tab, (scroll down to 'headlights' ) Rod, sells numerous rebuild parts for GM headlight repairs, he's reasonable in price and fast in delivery.