1988 Rear End Ratio

My 88 has a richmond gear transmission. The gear in the transmission for the speedo is wrong. How do I determine the rear end ratio so I can order the correct gear?

Tony

Reply to
tony thomas

===================== Heck if I know.... But when I had this trouble on my C3's... I determined just how "off" my speedo was ...and in what direction...

Pulled the gear out and checked what color it was..since they were color coded.. Then ordered three different gears by color... Heck they only cost like 5 bucks .. the wasted 10 bucks sure was cheap insurance..

Have NO idea about the c4's speedo gears however...

Lots of luck...

Bob G..

Reply to
Bob G.

Get a fairly accurate result by counting the number of turns on a rear wheel that it takes to turn the driveshaft through 10 revolutions.

a. Chock the front wheels, release the parking brake and put the transmission in neutral. b. Jack one rear wheel c. Mark the drive shaft d. Turn the rear wheel, counting how many turns of the wheel it takes to rotate the driveshaft 10 times. e. Divide the number of wheel revolutions into 20. (instead of 10 since one wheel is on the ground, not turning) The result will be quite close to the rear axle ratio. f. Example: It takes 7 & 1/3 turns of a rear wheel to rotate the driveshaft 10 times. Then, 20/7.33 = 2.727 (about 2.73) HTH... PJ

Reply to
PJ

Turns out it is a 3.07 rear end.

Thanks for the help.