1990 Vert

Hey group:
Bought a 1990 vert. 1st vette. I have had it about two months and never put the top up. Did so today, its in pretty bad shape. I went to put it
down, now I cannot get it down. The supplemental top instructions are long gone. I know the back has to come forward to clear the back lid. When I release the top at the front, it lifts about 6-8 inches, then hangs.
Appreciate the help. gjt