1990 Vette - occassional "not start"

I have a 1990 Vette that will start great repeatedly, then one day nothing. The panel lights will lit, but no cranking of the motor. I can twist the
key in the ignition but nothing. I left the car alone for two weeks (didn't have time to diagnose), then just by chance I tried. It started right up. At first I thought about fuel, but the engine would still crank. So, I have narrowed this down to a. Starter about to go bad - how does one check this? b. Ignition switch - is this typical?
Any other ideas?
Empty3
Could be the anti-theft resistor in the key. Try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser, wait 10 minutes, and try again. There are many other possibilities but that one is common, simple, and annoying.
-rev
Empty3 wrote:

Also, there is a starter lockout switch that can go bad or become slightly mis-adjusted, so wiggle/manipulate the transmission lever when that happens to make sure the car is in park or neutral (depends on whether the car has an automatic or manual trans) when you're trying to start it.
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Thanks guys,
I never thought about the anti-theft resistor nor the wiggle.
Empty3

you may have a ground or connection problem to the selenoid. disconnect clean and re-connect connections in this area, also make sure neg. battery and engine block connection is clean and solid...the selenoid has to to work before the starter can work
electrical problems are usually difficult to locate especially in vettes but its very rewarding when you have located it beyond a doubt.
dealers get a ton of money fixing these problems

Empty3 wrote:

Empty:
Click on the following link to see my post about the "Dreaded No Start" in the ZR1 Net Registry forums. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t 49 Read through the whole thread, there's some really good information in there which might help you out. I spent a few weeks trying to diagnose a starting issue similar to yours on my '90ZR1. Turn the key, everything works except no starter. Nothing wrong with the starter, solenoid, relays, not a VATS issue, not the clutch safety switch, etc., etc., etc.
Good luck!
TomC '90ZR1 #792

TomC, thanks. You describe exactly what is happening to my car. I'll look into your information as well as Dleers advice on grounding.
Empty3