1995 Corvette Overheating

I have a 1995 corvette, and when I stop at a traffic light, the temperature gauge goes to 235 degrees. As soon as I start back up, it goes down to 210 degrees after about 1/2 mile. The yesterday the temperature was 70 degrees outside when this happened. I bought this car in December, 2006 when it was colder outside, and didn't have these readings when it was colder. Is this quick temperature change normal for this vehicle when the temperature gets warmer outside? If not, what could be the possible problems?

Reply to
Paul J. Veres

Little on the warm side for a late C4 and just a bit slower coming down than usual.

Turn on the A/C -- temp should drop.

Reply to
PJ

Flush the system and put in new coolant, add water wetter or purple ice to the system. Bleed the air out of the system at both bleed screws. Check to make sure both radiator cores are clean, they have a tendency to get paper and stuff stuck in them and restrict air flow.

Charlie

1993 Polo Green Vert.
Reply to
Charlie

What Charlie said, it's a bottom feeder and will suck noticeable amounts of trash into the radiator. It's unbelievable what it will pickup, cigarette butts, wrappers, and leaves. Clean that before you do anything and then have the PH of your coolant checked, six years is pushing it's life span.

Reply to
Dad

like some others have said, make sure your coolant is flowing correctly and there is no debre blocking your radiator.

my 84 / c4 use to do that. I put a manual fan switch I can turn on anytime its necessary.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Your description suggests insufficient airflow if car not moving. Possible causes for overheating from shop manual for conditions " engine temp lamp on or temp gauge shows hot". 1) Loss of coolant. 2) Loss of system pressure. 3) Belt tension too low. 4) Timing retarded by malfunctioning ignition control system. 5) Damaged coolant pump drive assembly. 6) Radiator fins obstructed. 7) Cooling system passages blocked. 8) Recovery reservoire hose pinched or kinked. 9) Cooling fans inoperative. 10) Thermostat stuck in closed position.

11) Malfunctioning coolant pump; eroded or broken impeller blades. 12) Incorrect radiator. 13) Missing or damaged radiator upper air deflector and/or center air deflector. Other things that come to mind: Engine coolant temperature sensor malfunction ( located on underside of water pump) . Cooling fans inoperative. You may be able to check some of the simpler items yourself. Also check if you're losing or are missing coolant. After that, you'll probably need to check with a garage. Good luck.
Reply to
egg.net