2001 corvette, some modifications. Does this take away or add to the car

I sold my 96 a few weeks ago and have been looking for a 99 - 01 car. I found a blue one. Love the color. Not sure about modifications. Car has the following. Would these kill re-sale or would they have no affect.

  • Hurst Short Throw Shifter * Vara-Ram Ram Air * TPIS Long Tube Headers * Corsa Touring Exhaust * 3.90 Rear End With Hardened Shaft * 18 * Dyno Tuned At JD Auto * Engine Has Approximately 410 Horsepower I don;t need the stuff. It is already on the car.

You know, my car was a bitch getting in and out. BUT the seats were definitely better then the 05 seats. My $0.02 anyway.

Reply to
rebco10

Bob I

It will devalue the car in 50 years. Do you care? If the seller threw the old parts out then pick up replacements on ebay while they're common and store them.

Two concerns I would have:

  1. The seller probably wants to get the investment back out of the sale price

  1. I'd never own another car with headers. Unless everything lines up perfectly then get used to replacing gaskets.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

'Would these kill re-sale or would they have no affect. =A0=A0* Hurst Short Throw Shifter =A0=A0* Vara-Ram Ram Air =A0=A0* TPIS Long Tube Headers =A0=A0* Corsa Touring Exhaust =A0=A0* 3.90 Rear End With Hardened Shaft =A0=A0* 18 =A0=A0* Dyno Tuned At JD Auto =A0=A0* Engine Has Approximately 410 Horsepower I don;t need the stuff. It is already on the car.'

REPLY: Chances are, the previous owner did these mods for racing with that rear-gear and Hurst shifter ..although it may have still been a street only car. To answer your question, it could be a real selling point if a prospective buyer likes getting a car with a good h.p./tq upgrade over stock ; the opposite is true if the potential buyer doesnt really need these mods AND...if he gets the idea that maybe this car was raced and put thru its paces , regularly. Those are my thoughts. Me personally, i would find the mods somewhat appealing but would question how hard the car was driven. Hope this gives you some food for thought. Dave.

Reply to
dave

'Would these kill re-sale or would they have no affect.

  • Hurst Short Throw Shifter
  • Vara-Ram Ram Air
  • TPIS Long Tube Headers
  • Corsa Touring Exhaust
  • 3.90 Rear End With Hardened Shaft
  • 18
  • Dyno Tuned At JD Auto
  • Engine Has Approximately 410 Horsepower I don;t need the stuff. It is already on the car.' ==============================

noticed on the Barrett Jackson Auction. when some of the older cars had mods that was an improvment over the origional. it didn't effect the value and in some cases, it helped. looks like its what the buyers really want from year to year.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

The real desirable cars in the BJ...... any mod at all kills the value :-)

I can waste hours and hours and hours watching that damn BJ auction. LOLOL

I wouldn't be too interested in that Vette with the gear change in particular. That tells me it's probably been run hard and put away wet often.

Now having said that my Vette has most of those mods and it's been beyond babied it's whole life, and when the time comes to sell it someone will get a cherry completely life documented Vette. But I consider myself the exception to the rule.... ;-)

Reply to
RicSeyler

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:15:58 -0600, Bob I puked:

You have a point, but those mods look more like driver upgrades than serious racing changes. Still, the car could have been abused on the street...

lab~rat >:-)

Except for the gear change, that ain't a bolt-on and costs a few bucks in parts and labor.

lab~rat >:-) wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:40:29 -0600, RicSeyler puked:

True, he could have blown the stock rear.

lab~rat >:-)

Not mentioned in your post, but of more than passing consequence:

How many miles on the car? More specifically, how many of those miles are measured in quarters? The 3.90 rear end with hardened shaft is a tip off I think even if it didn't have the long tube headers.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Like an ad in yesterdays paper: 2003 .... 43,000 miles ....still under factory warranty, always garaged, hardly driven ...

-- PJ

2-ton low profile floor jack with internal hydraulic leak
Reply to
PJ

Also, was the speedo recalibrated for the rear end change? If not or if not right away, then the mileage indicated isn't really the mileage on the car.

With 3.90 gears, it won't be as good on the freeway as with stock gears, but it will accelerate like a bat out of #$!!. Who setup the gears? If that's not done right, then they will have a short life and get real noisy. Gas mileage will suffer for sure.

The headers can be either great or horrible... The TPIS headers have thick laser cut flanges so those maybe good about not blowing gaskets. I have had headers that never needed anything once installed and others that constantly needed something tightened or some gasket replaced. These headers did need some welding to fit them to the factory cats so I'm not sure how much work it would be to go back to stock if the headers turned out to be problematic.

As far as was if it was raced... If it was raced a little I personally don't think that is all that bad... Provided the person that was racing it knew the difference between racing and raping the car! Many would be high performance drivers don't get that difference.

One thing you haven't said is what you intend to do with the car. Are you into the high performance side or are you looking for a cruiser? This car sounds to me like a weekend sports car and not so much an everyday driver (although I must admit that I have owned cars far more modified than that and drove them almost everyday to work), it all depends on what you're looking for.

Just a few comments.... and some thoughts....

Dennis

Charlie Funk wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Willson