2002 QUESTION

I have a 02 Corvette with 7000 miles with the original battery. Here is my question. When I stop at a traffic light and my AC is on max, I start to accelerate and the fan speed decreases for a short time and them resumes to max speed. Could my battery be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mark Mathews

I've usually had long life (4-5 yrs) from original equipment batts but with only 2K miles per year you've probably had extended lay-up periods.

What does the voltmeter say while this is happening?

Paul

Mark Mathews wrote:

Reply to
Paul H.

Is this hard acceleration? If so, AC cuts out until RPMs come down - normal

Reply to
ROBERT S AMP BA Drake

Mark,

The next time you are in traffic at night and stopped for a red light, check the reflection of the headlights in the chrome bumper of the SUV in front of you. Watch what happens when you hit the brake light or use the up/down window button on the C5.

Mine used to really dim bad under a load so I took it to the dealer. The weak sister Delco AGM battery was reading under 12 volts but they could not replace it under warranty so they installed a new alternator. About three weeks later the AGM crapped out in front of the airport while I was dropping my wife off.

I have no problems now with the Wall Mart battery. The best mod I ever made was to get rid of the Delco AGM battery.

Reply to
aRKay

Thank you for your responding to my question. After reading your message I was

unclear on which part corrected your problem. After the alternator was replaced did you have the same problem? Would the battery have corrected the problem with the old alternator.

Thanks,

email snipped-for-privacy@raythe> >

Reply to
Mark Mathews

Actually just replacing the battery with a new Delco will do the same thing. Since it was a "change parts until it works like you want it to" type of diagnosis it's a crap shoot as to what fixed the real problem if it is fixed at all. Get a manual and a volt meter and check it out in a systematic manner, otherwise find a good repair shop and take it were it can be done correctly.

By the way, much "under" 12 volts and the computer will shut your Corvette down. The slight dimming of the lights when another load is added is normal. With the age and amount of miles on your car I would assume it sits and may have had to have the battery recharged. If that is so change it and bump up the CCAs a few hundred and drive it more often.

Reply to
Dad