2004 Fuel Guage Zeroes

My '04 coupe has ~40K miles and has been perfect untill recently the fuel guage occasionally drops abruptly to Empty (from 1/4 to 1/2 full) and the display indicates Low Fuel. It stays this way after cycling power but works normally after I fill up.

Any ideas??

Thanks Terry, Clermont, FL

Reply to
th

Have it recalibrated by your dealer, they can spread out the number of times it checks the level and may eliminate the problem. Also don't crowd the tank, when it clicks off on fill up, quit. There is a GM approved cleaner to run through from the tank that may help. Early in the C5 production there was a recall on this problem but didn't think it included the '04, won't hurt to ask.

Reply to
Dad

I had a similar problem with my 2001 coupe. After searching the net I found that it was a common problem if you were not using a "top tier" gasoline (Chevron, Shell, BP, I think). The additional detergents keep the mechanism of the sending unit clean, apparently. I used Chevron regularly until I changed job locations where it was not convenient to get it, and used Citgo or other Quick-MArt types of gas. That's when my problem started. Same symptoms as you. After switching back to Chevron the problem disapeared for good!!!

Run a few tanks of BP super, and a couple of bottles of Fuel Cleanser and then stay with the top tier gas and you'll never have the problem again...

Good Luck Pappy '05 Victory Red Coupe

Reply to
Pappy

I had this problem as well with my 2000 coupe at 40,000 miles. A couple months later the AC quit working, it was winter and I was only using it for defrost so it did not bother me to much. When it started to get warm outside I noticed the engine was running warmer than normal. I took the car to a local shop for trouble shooting. They found that the climate control device was fried. When we took it apart it was really fried you could see it, smell it and putting in a new part proved it.

The climate control unit is a small computer that controls a lot more than climate.

Long story short my fuel gauge problem went away when we changed the climate control unit. Cost was 500 for the part about 60 to replace it.

Dennis

Pappy wrote:

Reply to
dennis.hoefle