2005 vette - Dead Battery

Twice now I've had a dead battery when I went to start my new vette. I've left it in reverse (per the instructions) but battery still died. Anybody else having a problem?

Reply to
Stinger

RicSeyler

No, but I've heard about some that have, and one of the simple fixes was a new battery. As a side note my 98 did that and the new battery was a cure for a few months and then the BCM/ECM, (don't remember which), went out and left me sitting on a hot Interstate. Never saw the problem again in the next

4 years. May or may not be related, just something to think about. I once let mine sit without a battery tender for 18 days and no problem. So far I've not had to use anything to recharge or keep the battery charged.

Yes, sponge gate, to put it in reverse as you're told, is kind of a pain but livable.

Reply to
Dad

================= Have not even added a C5 to my fleet yet not alone a C6....

May be as simple as a linkage adjustment but I would be carring a volt meter with me to check the voltage draw on the battery every time I parked the car...

The electronics on these cars scare the hell out of me...

Lots of Luck...

Bob Griffiths

68 SS 396 Chevelle 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

Good point except that if the circuit doesn't make, it tells you how stupid you were to think you could get out of the car without doing what you were told. I love all those flashing words, blinking lights, and dinging bells, my Toronado used to talk to me. They give that up because it was a woman's voice and who listens to a woman telling you about a car problem? "Slow down and pull safely to the side of the road", she said as she removed her sweater. Now a man can understand that and would follow instructions. If it were because the coolant temperature has reached 260 degrees he might think, what the hell does she know and go on.

Reply to
Dad

When I took delivery of my 2005 vet the head mechanic told me about the dead battery problems and he said he is telling people to also engage the parking brake as well as putting it in reverse. Mine is an automatic so I can't speak from experience. One of their demos which is a stick had a dead battery when the salesman tried to demo it for me. He couldn't even open the door. My 87 was a stick but my old left leg demanded the auto this time. I also had a 56 3speed stick. Bought it new when I got out of the air force in

1956.
Reply to
Ron Stewart

Interesting, GM put out some bad information, their start up procedure was a joke. The first instructions said, "To start the C6 6-speed the clutch has to be depressed, the foot brake applied, the emergency brake set, and the shift lever in reverse." Actually in order to start the C6 6-speed you only need the clutch depressed. Can you just imagine killing the engine in traffic and setting the emergency brake before you could re-start the engine. So far I've had no problem with just reverse to shut down RAP that kills the battery

Hey, my '57 was a 3 Sp. bought in Oct. '56, soooo long ago...........

Reply to
Dad

How does putting the trans in reverse help to reduce the drain on the battery? Does this appy to other models?

Reply to
wdlanning

Reply to
Tom Howlin

I usually only take it out on weekends so it sits for a week without running. Most of the time everything is OK, its just that twice now the battery has been completely drained. Hard to believe its the battery, the post about the shutdown procedure is interesting. I'll have to play around and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions! This is my first vette, a human being should not be allowed to have this much fun!

Reply to
Stinger

Not putting a car into reverse before shutting off killing the battery has to be the most stupidest, idiotic design ever engineered into a car.

Next time I see a couple guys I know who are GM engineers, I'll tell them just that.

It sure makes me appreciate the old ones.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Reply to
RicSeyler

Why in blazes would you have to leave it in reverse to keep the battery charged..???..is this still another GM blunder...???

Reply to
Grayfox

"Gayfox" loudly exclaimed in message news:iZf0e.2870$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Gayfox, why in blazes would you have to ask such a stupid question..???..is this still another Gayfox blunder...??? It's interesting that you never offer solutions to problems. Just the same dumb responses over and over again.

Reply to
StingRay

I am afraid I have to agree with Grayfox on this one. We have had cars for years prefer the manual transmission be put in reverse. Good reasons usually, theft prevention, better torque advantage to hold car still (use the parking brake?), and so on. But to design a car that if you fail to do what the maker prefers will kill the battery is ridiculous. Granted I've heard the car beeps, flashes messages, and so on, but in the end, the car is yours.

One thing I learned a long time ago, the guy who owns something is the guy who determines how it is used, regardless of how smart or gifted he may be in comparison with others around him.

Leaving a car in 4th or 1st or whatever shouldn't kill the battery, plain and simple. There have been times I have driven into the garage and shut the car off in neutral because I wanted to get out and move the car by hand for some reason. Maybe I want to put it in first or whatever for a reason.

question..???..is

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

A side note to this is that I have now started to let the clutch out enough to know it is in reverse before I shut it off. The spongy reverse gate just doesn't define what gear the shifter is in well enough for me to spend a battery to find out. The old lift lock out on the shifter in my 72 is still preferred and may be some of the reasons I don't like the non gated spongy reverse in the 05. If you think about that you could still lift the lock and stick it in 3rd. I still like the sound of the old 4 barrel carburetor kicking in, yeahaaaa.......

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler