2005 vette - Dead Battery

Twice now I've had a dead battery when I went to start my new vette. I've left it in reverse (per the instructions) but battery still died. Anybody else having a problem?

Sometimes the batteries that come with new cars aren't the best... Might want to try a new battery. Have the dealership do a drain test. Still under warranty isn't it?
Stinger wrote:

--
Ric Seyler

new battery. As a side note my 98 did that and the new battery was a cure for a few months and then the BCM/ECM, (don't remember which), went out and left me sitting on a hot Interstate. Never saw the problem again in the next 4 years. May or may not be related, just something to think about. I once let mine sit without a battery tender for 18 days and no problem. So far I've not had to use anything to recharge or keep the battery charged.
Yes, sponge gate, to put it in reverse as you're told, is kind of a pain but livable.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

May be as simple as a linkage adjustment but I would be carring a volt meter with me to check the voltage draw on the battery every time I parked the car...
The electronics on these cars scare the hell out of me...
Lots of Luck...
Bob Griffiths 68 SS 396 Chevelle 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes

you were to think you could get out of the car without doing what you were told. I love all those flashing words, blinking lights, and dinging bells, my Toronado used to talk to me. They give that up because it was a woman's voice and who listens to a woman telling you about a car problem? "Slow down and pull safely to the side of the road", she said as she removed her sweater. Now a man can understand that and would follow instructions. If it were because the coolant temperature has reached 260 degrees he might think, what the hell does she know and go on.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Goto: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain and do a search on dead battery and you'll find numerous posts about the problem. Part of it is not following the shutdown procedure exactly (into reverse first, before shutting down), some of it is circuits in the car that stay active for up to twenty minutes after shutdown, a lot of it is the fob and leaving it in or near the car and some of it is just a bad battery. Seems to be less of a problem on automatics than the manuals. GM is trying to cram too much technology into the car as a showcase when all we really want is a reliable automobile with the performance of the C6.
Tom C6 Mag Red
Stinger wrote:

I usually only take it out on weekends so it sits for a week without running. Most of the time everything is OK, its just that twice now the battery has been completely drained. Hard to believe its the battery, the post about the shutdown procedure is interesting. I'll have to play around and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions! This is my first vette, a human being should not be allowed to have this much fun!
Not putting a car into reverse before shutting off killing the battery has to be the most stupidest, idiotic design ever engineered into a car.
Next time I see a couple guys I know who are GM engineers, I'll tell them just that.
It sure makes me appreciate the old ones.

LOL I agree. Ya just want to smack one of them in the forehead, huh!!
Tom in Missouri wrote:

--
Ric Seyler

Why in blazes would you have to leave it in reverse to keep the battery charged..???..is this still another GM blunder...???

Gayfox, why in blazes would you have to ask such a stupid question..???..is this still another Gayfox blunder...??? It's interesting that you never offer solutions to problems. Just the same dumb responses over and over again.
I am afraid I have to agree with Grayfox on this one. We have had cars for years prefer the manual transmission be put in reverse. Good reasons usually, theft prevention, better torque advantage to hold car still (use the parking brake?), and so on. But to design a car that if you fail to do what the maker prefers will kill the battery is ridiculous. Granted I've heard the car beeps, flashes messages, and so on, but in the end, the car is yours.
One thing I learned a long time ago, the guy who owns something is the guy who determines how it is used, regardless of how smart or gifted he may be in comparison with others around him.
Leaving a car in 4th or 1st or whatever shouldn't kill the battery, plain and simple. There have been times I have driven into the garage and shut the car off in neutral because I wanted to get out and move the car by hand for some reason. Maybe I want to put it in first or whatever for a reason.

to know it is in reverse before I shut it off. The spongy reverse gate just doesn't define what gear the shifter is in well enough for me to spend a battery to find out. The old lift lock out on the shifter in my 72 is still preferred and may be some of the reasons I don't like the non gated spongy reverse in the 05. If you think about that you could still lift the lock and stick it in 3rd. I still like the sound of the old 4 barrel carburetor kicking in, yeahaaaa.......
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote: