2014 Chevrolet Corvette to debut at Detroit Auto Show, start production in Q3 2013

From AB

Next-generation Corvette to Debut 1.13.13 in Detroit

New Crossed Flags logo illustrates the character of the all-new, "C7" Corvette

BRASELTON, Ga. ? Chevrolet today confirmed the seventh-generation Corvette will debut on Sunday evening, Jan. 13, 2013, in Detroit. To start the countdown to 1.13.13, Chevrolet is showing the new Crossed Flags logo for the new 2014 Corvette.

"The all-new, seventh-generation Corvette deserved an all-new emblem," said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design. "The new Crossed Flags design reflects the character of the next Corvette. The flags are much more modern, more technical, and more detailed than before ? underscoring the comprehensive redesign of the entire car."

The new Crossed Flags logo was unveiled at Road Atlanta, where Corvette Racing celebrated a sweep of the 2012 production-based American Le Mans Series GT championships.

Chevrolet secured the manufacturer's championship; Corvette Racing secured the team championship, and Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner captured the drivers' championship with four wins in the nine races preceding Petit Le Mans, the 2012 ALMS season finale.

These championships make Corvette Racing the most successful team in ALMS history, with a total of 77 class wins, eight drivers' championships, and nine manufacturer and team championships since

2001. The team has also taken seven class victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 2001. Corvette Racing will campaign the C6.R for the 2013 ALMS season. The C7.R is expected to make its racing debut in 2014.

"Winning the ALMS championships with the Corvette C6.R, against prestigious competitors from Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW is the perfect send-off for the sixth-generation Corvette," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.

"The seventh-generation Corvette will build on that success," Juechter continued. "With the new Corvette, we set out to build a world-challenging sports car with design, refinement, efficiency and driver engagement that is second to none. The result is a truly all-new Corvette. There are only two carryover parts from the C6 used in the C7 ? the cabin air filter and the rear latch for the removable roof panel."

The Crossed Flags logo has been a hallmark of the Corvette since its

1953 introduction. It has always incorporated a pair of flags, one a racing checkered flag and other featuring the Chevrolet "bowtie" emblem and a French fleur-de-lis. The design has evolved over the years, and has been featured on more than 1.5 million Corvettes built between 1953 and today.

For the seventh-generation Corvette, the Crossed Flags design is a more technical, more angular and more swept appearance ? in proportion that symbolizes the new car. It is also a more detailed representation, showing greater depth, color and attention to detail.

More than 100 variations were considered before the final design was selected.

The new Crossed Flags design will be featured on the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, which will debut for credential media on Sunday, Jan 13,

2013 in Detroit. Chevrolet will offer a limited number of tickets for Corvette enthusiasts, with proceeds benefiting the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky.
Reply to
MummyChunk

Bet they still have that turd push rod engine. 2014 is just a GM cheapo rehash of the C6. Boring and another ploy to get the Vette sheeple to trash their C6's and pony up for a C7. When is GM going to build a world class car? 9000 rpm rev limit, overhead cam, 4 value per, direct injection, variable valve timing and an interior that is better than rental car? Also ditch that lazy union labor. Mfg the vette in a right to work state where the workers really want to do a good job and do not watch the clock. They go home when the days work is done, and not before.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Do you really think a $50k car will be world class ??? I've heard good things about the Corvette when it's in the $100k spot.

Reply to
Observer

Do you really think a $50k car will be world class ??? I've heard good things about the Corvette when it's in the $100k spot. _________________

As should be obvious, that guy is a troll. Please don't reply to his crap.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Sorry and noted.

Reply to
Observer

Not a troll here. I own a '64 roadster. I just enjoy how GM plays owners who always have to have the latest gizmos in their ride. Their marketing strategy is to just put in enough new stuff to get you to trade in your few years old Vette. Then you buy new and GM will do it again. Repeat owner will end up taking $35k hits between cars. Ouch.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Why apply rube-goldberg design to good engineering? Seems the only turd around here is the vito clown.

Reply to
Bob I

Right on both accounts, Vito has an agenda and little knowledge of engineering. Most of his rhetoric comes from magazines or the he said, she said group.

Reply to
Dad

Ok, I'll decide then if you are a troll and decide whether to cut this off.

Meanwhile in reference to your post, almost all car makers do the same thing, not just GM. I suppose you could say food makers do the same too, as in "new and improved" versus "old and the same". Would you want to buy any product if it said "old and the same" ?

I think you will have to find another avenue to put Corvette down because your last two posts I read, don't seem to be valid nowadays. Further, if you truly own a '64 Vette, why would you want to put any Corvette down (new or old)? That makes me ponder if you are telling the truth about owning any Corvette but for the moment I'll consider you eccentric vs. a liar vs. a troll.

Reply to
Observer

Why apply rube-goldberg design to good engineering? Seems the only turd around here is the vito clown.

A 2.0 ltr DOHC 4 valve I4 reving 9000 rpm worked well for the Honda S2000, which was far removed from a Rube Goldberg design. But, then the S2000 is a different concept than the Vette and a very different driving experience from my viewpoint. And, both are quite enjoyable with very decent 6 speed manuals.

Reply to
tww1491

Why apply rube-goldberg design to good engineering? Seems the only turd around here is the vito clown.

A 2.0 ltr DOHC 4 valve I4 reving 9000 rpm worked well for the Honda S2000, which was far removed from a Rube Goldberg design. But, then the S2000 is a different concept than the Vette and a very different driving experience from my viewpoint. And, both are quite enjoyable with very decent 6 speed manuals. ____________________

I've had some time in the driver seat of an S2000 and while a lot of fun if you kept the revs up, I got tired of the engine noise after a while. That never happens in my Corvette. YMMV.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

You could say that about just about any vehicle...or cell phone...

But to a point I have to agree - I have an '87 Z51 C4 and an '08 Z06 side by side in my garage right now, and I find the '87 far more fun to drive more of the time...less distractions in the cockpit, an quite a few ergonomic features I far an away prefer - starting with the seats, and going on to include the steering ratio, better rear visibility, and better backup lights. My '87 is more fun to drive in the canyons and around town, and the Z06 doesn't really begin to get fun until you're over 80-90...good thing I have Death Valley to go play in.

And my Harleys still turn more heads in town than either of them...jus' sayin'...push rods rock!

Reply to
Rufus

Cool. Go for it.

Reply to