2Door & 2Dash speaker hookup help!

How can I hook up all 4 speakers to the front? I am told if you connect all 4 you have a chance of ruining radio.

Reply to
thecatmac

Depending upon the impedence of the speakers and what kind of setup you have it may not matter. The simple answer though is that you would need to connect the speakers in parallel vice series to avoid ruining the head unit.

Phil

"thecatmac" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
Phil Rynn

If you connect the two speakers in parallel, you get half the impedance.

8 ohm speaker + 8 ohm speaker in parallel = 4 ohms. 8 ohm speaker + 8 ohm speaker in series = 16 ohms.

If you are using a factory radio, then you need a 10 ohm speaker as Delco used a 10 ohm speaker for most of the years. An 8 ohm will drive the output transistor too hard. Also, many factory speakers used an output transformer mounted on the speaker. I believe that was only midyears. Installing a speaker without the transformer, if originally equipped, will blow the radio.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri