58' Corvette Tachometer Adjustment

The Tach of my 58' Corvette always shows approx.the double RPM of the electronic tester, I have changed to an other/new one,it is the same. How can I fix it? Thank you for any information Hotchrome Austria/Europe

Reply to
hotchrome

I thought that the 58 Vette tach was distributer drive not electric? Now it is interesting that the tach shows 2x the rpm of the tester. The tach drive is connected to the distributer which is connected to the camshaft which is driven at 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft rpm...... So the tach will show twice the speed of the distributer/crankshaft.

Here's my website that shows you how to verify your electric tach us> The Tach of my 58' Corvette always shows approx.the double RPM of the

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Well, no, Eugene. The factory '58 tach runs off the generator - it bolts to the rear of the housing with the cable running from there to the dash. *IF* hotchrome still has the original, then perhaps someone substituted pulley diameters somewhere in the "fan" belt setup and that's why it shows double speed.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

My Tach is generator mounted,not distributor. Thank you, Hotchrome

hotchrome schrieb:

Reply to
hotchrome

The lower and upper pulley are 17cm diam.,generator pulley is 9,3cm (3-5/8'') diam., the bigger one of the two originals 58' pulleys,the two generator transm.wheels are new but original diam. 58' Vettes had generator and distributor tachs,on the tach magnetic gear(inside tach housing) there is a number ,,2'' , double rotation??? Thanks to all, Hotchrome/Austria

hotchrome schrieb:

Reply to
hotchrome

Well isn't that the dumbest thing I've heard yet. A generator drive tach..

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Strange but True.

Perhaps it was a gimmicky thing in the beginning - made it more sports car for the image crowd like but saved money. Does anyone know if other GM vehicles of that era used a direct engine connected tach? Maybe it was not engineered as distributor driven yet.

"Who Knows?" -Donald Rumsfeld

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

And the correct way to do that in 1958 was?

Reply to
Dad

Maybe the correct way for Chevies but the rest of the world didn't do it that way.. btw I was waiting for someone to get their shackles up over my comment...

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Doesn't bother me, just wanted to know the right way that it should have been done. So by what you're saying you don't know the right way. Don't believe that there were very many cars with tachometers back then to compare it to.

By the way, isn't it "hackles" and not "shackles", or is that the right way where you come from?

Reply to
Dad

Hackles is right - its just me screwing up another phrase again...

I did a search >

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Actually it was an easy way to use the current technology, and parts available to slap together a cheap tach for the Corvette just as it was to use the standard sedan chassis. GMs way of leading the field of automotive advancement.

Reply to
Dad

I did a lot of measuring of the standard Chevy kingpin suspension while machining my own replacement balljoint suspension (lots of work) and was very surprised to find that the kingpin suspension was a horrible design concerning bumpsteer. Here's my webpage on my measurements:

Eugene Blanchard