63 brake fluid question

I have replaced or rebuilt the entire brake system (all shoes- no discs or power)on my 1963 SB. I am going to run a silicone fluid in the system when I charge it up. Any recommendations on brands of fluid to use or stay away from? Thanx- lib

Reply to
lib

I've never heard pros or cons about any brand of silicone brake fluid. I have used government surplus silicone brake fluid in two cars for years with no problems. Both had the systems totally cleaned of gycol fluid. You must clean everything with denatured alcohol. This means disassembling the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, new or rebuilt, removing all glycol or assy grease, and reassembling with silicone brake fluid.

Good luck, Joe '72 coupe

Reply to
Joe M

I've heard that denatured alcohol can be hard on seals. Not sure I recommend it, but I've changed to silicone after just draining the old fluid, installing new/rebuilt master & wheel cylinders, and "flushing" while bleeding the brakes until I see air-free purple fluid coming out. Your method is probably better, but I've had no ill effects that I am aware of.

Reply to
WayneC