63 rear suspension question

I am going to re-build the suspension in my roadster. I've looked at numerous kits and I think the kit at

(part #58-33AK 63-64) is the one I am going to get. I noticed that my rear trailing arms have shims at the front of the arms. Can I remove the arms, do the work on them, and then put them back with the shims in same order and not effect any alignments, etc? Will replacing all of the bushings, etc. necessitate a new alignment. We are also going to get a differential re-build kit (bearings and seals) while we have the rear end on the ground. I don't imagine that process will effect anything else regarding the alignment. Thanx- Lib

Reply to
lib

Offhand, that seems high, but I haven't priced all the parts lately. Wilcox is a good place to deal with and very fair.

The alignment should stay true with the same shims, if the bushing are installed correctly. However, it isn't a bad idea to have it aligned to be sure as frame twist and change it all. Be sure the place really knows how to align a Corvette rear.

When you refill the rear end with lube, use ONLY GM factory lube and Positraction additive. Many like Redline and such, but I've never had a rear begin popping on GM lube except it was low.

If you use slotted alignment shims when rebuilding the rear (the originals use a hole that the bolt goes through), then drill a pin hole in the frame to run a cotter pin (about 6 inches long) through to retain the shims so they do not fall out. The trailing arm pivot bolt MUST be torqued to spec to keep everything in. It does not bend the frame like many think.

> (part #58-33AK 63-64) is the one I am going to get. I noticed that my rear > trailing arms have shims at the front of the arms. Can I remove the arms, > do the work on them, and then put them back with the shims in same order > and not effect any alignments, etc? Will replacing all of the bushings, > etc. necessitate a new alignment. We are also going to get a differential > re-build kit (bearings and seals) while we have the rear end on the > ground. I don't imagine that process will effect anything else regarding > the alignment. Thanx- Lib>

Reply to
Tom in Missouri