63 roadster alternator question

I have a 63 250hp/327(no A/C or power anything). I have the alt. that was on the car when I bought it (it appears to have the numbers on housing as

110796.. 61a.. 12v-).I believe this to be a 37amp alt. Do I risk any damage to my electrical system by replacing it with a 41 amp. alternator? My car has the stock 40 amp gauge currently. Thanx- lib
Reply to
lib

It would appear to me the "61a" is telling you it's 61 amps. I can't find the #1100796 in my parts book, so can't tell you the application of that one.

NCRS indicates the '63 base unit should be a 37 amp, #1100628. Looking up a replacement alternator (GM referred to it as a generator) in my '79 dealer parts book, I see they were calling for the following:

'63-'68 Generator #1846935

42 AMP (EXC. A.C)

With the following notation: "Replaces 37 amp generator"

This rebuilt unit and a brand new 42 amp unit are the only listings given for a '63 replacement.

To recap, it appears you're using a 61 amp alternator in place of the original 37 amp unit which was subsequently dropped by Chevrolet with a

42 amp alternator specified as the direct replacement. Long explanation short - I'd say the 41 or 42 amp replacement you bolt on would do just fine.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

no problem, the current rating is the max the alternator can put out at rated speed, as long as its for a 12v system you don't have to worry. the built in regulator and condition of your battery control how much current flows, you will just have a bit more of reserve current than before --- in this case more is better. Putting in an alternator with a lower rated current than the oem will cause problems and lots of blown alternators.

Dr

Reply to
lee

Thanx for the info. After doing a bit more research it appears that the current alternator is for a 1968 Chevelle or Camaro and was rated at 61 amp. I was surprised as when I bought the car in 1975 it had about 65K mi. and I assumed the alternator would last longer than that. I rebuilt the alt. at about 75K myself . As I don't plan on installing any monster sound system or A/C, it appears that a 41 amp. should do the job. I have already purchased the correct regulator and a new battery so I should be good to go. Thanx again- lib

Reply to
lib