63 roadster (SB)- Clutch + Carb. questions

1) I am going to replace my clutch with a basic stock type kit. I've looked at Ecklers, Zip, etc. and they all are comprable in price and none list the
manufacturer of the parts. My local parts supplier offered me a Borg -Warner kit for approx. $40 less and no shipping. How can I compare what the others are offering to this? Any experience to share about any of these clutches? 2) Where can I purchase floats for my Carter WCFB? None of the rebuild kits I've found include floats.
The local parts store is the way to go. Much of what Eckler's, Zip, and others have is repackaged parts, so they add their markup plus they know that adding "Corvette" to the sales sheet jumps the price.
The carb rebuild kits never have floats. The floats are always separate. I doubt you can get them at Chevy anymore, but your Napa, Car Quest, or other local parts store may have them.
Borg-Warner used to produce floats for many carbs. You may have to find someone that deals in Borg-Warner.

lib wrote:

Borg Warner is a name brand with a good reputation, but... the 63 Corvette used a "multiple bent-finger centrifugal diaphragm" clutch, which is different from the typical 3-pivot-lever designs. Perhaps that's the difference in price? You can view the correct clutch in the 63 shop manual, or go to corvettecentral.com and search the C2 catalog on "clutch kit" (you want the 10.5" version)and look at the picture there; original was Chevy part #1841673 which is no longer a valid number. Have you checked with a Chevy dealer to see if there's a replacement part?

brass, and if so, they can generally be easily repaired (soldered) if need be. If you gotta find 'em, try a local carb rebuilder or even NAPA, or someone known to rebuild Carter WCFB's (for example Dick Katter at 703-754-7547)
BTW, a common aftermarket clutch selected by C2 owners is Centerforce, either "Centerforce 2" or "Centerforce Dual Friction" models. And use a GM needle bearing #14061685 rather than the stock bronze pilot bushing, and use GM throw-out bearing #15680264.
WayneC wrote:

Center Force works well in my C1. Wish I would have used the needle bearing instead of the bushing in the flywheel.

My local parts supplier offered me a Borg -Warner kit for approx. $40 less and no shipping
BW makes quality parts and the one you get by mail order could just turn out to be a BW. Buy the clutch locally.
Where can I purchase floats for my Carter WCFB
Tougher to solve. As I recall, the float was still formed brass. Is it collapsed or otherwise misshapen or does it just have a leak in it? If it's just a leak, and it's a brass float, find the hole, open it with a 1/16" drill bit and drain it thoroughly. Bake it at low temperature (150 F or so) to drive out any residual liquid. Solder the hole shut. finding THE right float may be a bit of a challenge. It may mean buying a carburetor and using it for parts. Contact Contemporary Corvette in Pennsylvania at 800 367-8388. Ask for Rocky. If it can be had, they either have it or know where to get it.
Charlie

Napa online lists the float for that carb( part mfg. Echilin) Thanx for all the info. on my questions- Lib