63E Mirror mount specs?

I removed my O/S LH mirror today and discovered that the mount appears to be from a 63L to 67E, according to catalogs. Would it be possible that the screws that hold the mirror mount to the body would match up with the screw spacing on the 63E long-base kit. I can't tell by looking in the catalogs what this dimension is. The point being, did someone replace the original mirror with a generic item ( no bowtie/ less expensive) and still use the existing backing plate I/S the door? If the spacing on the mounting screws is the same it could be done. If that was the case, I could replace the mounting kit back to the original and use the correct mirror. Or, perhaps, I should replace this current mal-functioning mirror with another 63L and get on with my life- lib

Reply to
lib

Can't really say the holes are on the same spacing but that shouldn't matter, the early base is sheet metal and you can make them match. One other thought, they sell a pair of Bow Tie mirrors for the Corvair for what they get for one for the Corvette. Long base and look the same, might want to check them out. Ebay item 260159531194.

Reply to
Dad

Thanx for the tip's, Dad. Those Corvair mirrors certainly do look like C2's. My biggest concern was taking the original screws out of the external base and hearing the backing plate fall down inside the door. Big-time "OOps"! If the original backing plate is still there, it was supposed to have been mounted with rivets and shouldn't be able to detach. That is what I'll hope to find- lib

Reply to
lib