69 Vette Engine Noise

My 350/350 engine was rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. The car runs well without any loss of power. However, there is a slight tapping noise coming from the engine. I've been told by several mechanics that the
noise is probably not serious. I've also been told by one or two people that with 25,000 miles on the rebuilt engine, it should not be making any noise. And I've been told that the kind of noise coming from my engine is common.
At any rate, I'm not prepared to have the engine rebuilt again at this point. Has anyone else had this engine problem? What are some things I, or a mechanic, can do to try to eliminate the noise?
Thanks, Charles
I take it that it is a new sound that has recently appeared. It really depends on where the sound is coming from. If several mechanics have told you that the noise is not serious then they are probably right. Put a can of STP in it and see if the noise goes away. Due to normal engine wear, you may have to go with a thicker oil.
Charles Halliman wrote:

I agree with those one or two others who told you there shouldn't be any off-noises in a 25,000 mile engine.
With a little snooping, are you sure it's coming from inside the engine and not an accessory?
If internal, I think the first thing I would investigate is valve lash. It's a pretty simple job - especially with hydraulic lifters that I believe your engine has. Cost would be about an hour of shop time plus valve cover gaskets.
Charles, when does the tapping occur? Is it a higher ticking sound or a lower tone? Occur when cold? - Does it go away when warm? Does it come and go randomly? What if you hold the brake while the car is in gear and try to accelerate against the brakes? - Does it get worse? Louder? Turn into a heavy knocking sound? Have you bottomed out the front end lately? It could be a cracked exhaust manifold that's leaking the exhaust valve sounds - look around to see if there are any cracks in the cast iron.
Just some ideas and questions to try to narrow the possibilities.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
Most times the noise comes from the fuel pump pushrod slack. Get a long screwdriver or stick and place it on top of the fuel pump while engine is idleing then place other end against your ear and listen.
I've had two small blocks that did this. Both had been rebuilt and thick gaskets used on pump and adapter plate. Doesn't take much to create a gap at pushrod.
PDeen

lost its head to listen. With the broken end on the engine you have a soft handle to put your ear on. The thin tube amplifies the sound so it can be pin pointed very close. Check the front and back bearing on your alternator and you will be amazed how much different the bearings sound. No, the horrible sound you hear is not a bad bearing. Well it could be, I don't know your car that well.
I'm with you, don't over look the push rod on the fuel pump, chances are that was not replaced at rebuild.
My lawyer says that if you hurt yourself with a pointy stick or golf club, it is your reasonability.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

not to mention how you know about hurting yourself with the pointy end
kickstart

I never hunt myself on it but Daly got suicidal after I out drove him by more than 163 1/3%, or was it less than that?
Oops, that's not me, I don't play golf. Seems strange to hit something as hard as you can and then repeatedly go look for it. Sounds like insanity to me.
--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
Kickstart wrote:

the screwdriver/stethescope game -- less bending of the aching back. I've got an old Hogan 4-wood with a loose head. Should have the tool built within the next 10 minutes.
--
PJ
89 HookerCar, 02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

inches. We should put out a caution to Flo-duh people to be on the lookout for a strange man with a long thingy in his hand.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

Ric, I thought Dad said "Rear"! Hee, Hee, Hee!

Dad 1992 Hoover 1989 Sunbeam Mixmaster
Dad wrote:

Still ROTFLMAO!!! Like G.W., I'll say I haven't been there, but I do like ranching! *lol*
Cool Jet 1987 Maytag Washer 1967 Popeye Pez Dispenser
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030100080308040509030209 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
LOLOLOL He's fighting the urge over here, so he doesn't have to fight the urge over there.
Cool Jet wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler