72 corvette head lights

i just bought a 72 vette and the head lights slam up and when turned on and slam down when turned off not sure if it is a vacume problem or if there
are bushings worn out.Also i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a engine im looking for around 350 hp and dont no if i should build the stock 350 or get a crate motor like the zz4 thanks for the help
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.corvette / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

==========spend 10 bucks for a general membership to the C3 registry (and its very useful forums) at ( www.C3Vr.com ) ... I have no connection with them BUT am a lifetime member... and only because I was able to get correct answers when I needed them... Be advised that I'n cheap and do not normally upgrade memberships unless I find them very very useful... The C3 Forum just happens to be exceptionally useful...
While you have your checkboob out also buy an assembly manuel from one of the major vendors ...a much have if you even think about doing any work on the car.. ya got to remember the first step repairoing almost anything on early Corvettes is to dissassemble the entire car...
On your engine question,... I blew the original engine in my 72 in 1974 or 1975 and dropped in a 68 327 350 out of a wrecked 69 vette which is still in the car but its getting a little tired so a ZZ4 is on my wish list .. IF I still had the original engine I would most likely have it rebuilt (but not to stock) . Since it no longer has the original engine (and I am not a matching numbers type of guy) The ZZ4 would be at the top of my list for a replacement engine...
Oh and one more thing... MOST C3's have extremely slow headlight doors that take what seems like hours to open (IF THEY OPEN ) or have one door pop up and the other remain closed... your problem is unusual ... lol
Bob G. 64 72 98 & 99 Convertibles 76 & 79 Coupes (the 99 I just inherited from my brother who passed away in November.my .wife claimed it because its an automatic ...LOL)
I know Chris Prowl wrote a complete testing and diagosnostic pamplet for the headlights/wiper doors etc that at one time was sold by Ecklers etc...someone on the forum most likely has it or would sacn it and sent it to you...
Just happen to come across this partial online manual for 68-72 Vettes. It happens to have the section on adjusting the headlight doors. Just be wary, the doors are made of white metal and the adjusting screws tend to freeze in place.
http://tinyurl.com/32f6ol
chevyman84 wrote:

--
Eugene Blanchard
Visit my website Hot Rod Kustoms at

crate engine and drop it in. It comes with a warrantee and cheaper in the long run.No core charge. Just buy a $49.00 engine stand from harbor freight and leave your original in the corner for now
kickstart

would open quite quickly and clunk into position. Shutting them was quieter. Certainly did not slam. The lights were vacuum operated (as I recall) with a tank and quite a bit of tubing. I have been told that rebuilding the system is difficult.