74 corvette help

i have a 74 corvette and am wondering what can be done about the tremendous amount of heat that comes up from the floorboards and thru the firewall?

Reply to
kimevenson

charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Charlie

In addition to the insulating pads consider:

requires disassembly of exhaust but someone in this group did it a couple of years ago and felt it was worth the effort.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

How about side pipes

Reply to
Rick

Id go for a ride in a C3 with sidepipes first to see if youre going to be okay with the increased noise ; It wont be so bad if you have the T Tops on and windows rolled up, but, if you ride with the T TOps off and windows down...you could get a headache within 4 blocks .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

No problem. I just pull the remote from my pocket and turn the hearing aids down. :-) PJ

Reply to
PJ

I put side pipes on my 72 and installed the 36 inch reverse flow mufflers from Hooker and it looks abd sounds great. I made some gaurds to prevent getting burned. I am very happy with them. (not cheep) You will also need to insulate any wires around the headers.

Reply to
Rick

Wachutalkinbout? That there's music, man, music. Plus it can be pretty intimidating for the high schooler in the next lane at the stop light when you bark the pipes at 'im. One can also perform an extra bit of civic duty this time of year by helping the municipalities blow the leaves curbside as you rumble by. You may get personal enjoyment from the side pipes, but remember you are performing a needed and valued public service.

Have toyed for years with putting the '69 factory side exhaust on my '72

454. Even with the t-tops off and rear window out, I can still hear the radio. ; )

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

'One can also perform an extra bit of civic duty this time of year by helping the municipalities blow the leaves curbside as you rumble by. '

Reply: Ok, ok...im convinced ; I imagine if you tuned your carb real rich you could seal your driveway too .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Hey, now you're thinkin'!

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

============================

My 66 year I owned years ago had side pipes and it was really not that bad with the top down or with the top and windows up.... HOWEVER I sold that car 25 years ago (big mistake..)

Anyhow... I tossed on a set of Ecklers/Mid America chambered pipes UNDER my 79 a few years ago...and .with the t-tops on and the windows rolled it was UNBEARABLE....absolutely unbearable ...I have never been INSIDE a drum but I now know what that must sound like... And for me to say it was toooooo loud is something... I only can hear out of one ear...(Thank you Vietnam) and my 95 has not had any mufflers on her at all...for at least the last 6-7 years...straight exhaust from the cats back... not loud at all LOL

Bob G.

64 & 72 Rag tops 76 79 & 95 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

'Anyhow... I tossed on a set of Ecklers/Mid America chambered pipes UNDER my 79 a few years ago...and .with the t-tops on and the windows rolled it was UNBEARABLE....absolutely unbearable ...I have never been INSIDE a drum but I now know what that must sound like... And for me to say it was toooooo loud is something... I only can hear out of one ear...(Thank you Vietnam) and my 95 has not had any mufflers on her at all...for at least the last 6-7 years...straight exhaust from the cats back... not loud at all LOL Bob G'

REPLY: Alot has to do with the sound pitch ive discovered ; I went with a set of Ravin series 33 perf. mufflers and 'X' pipe on my 1970 BB Vette ; the Ravins are virtually straight thru in design (taking a couple of slight dips in a front to back flow pattern) . Its quite loud inside up to approx. 2500 rpm. Once over that rpm, the inside is very quiet and you hardly hear the exhaust. They sound great with the rumpity rumpity rump of my long duration roller cam at idle however. I sure like the looks of Chrome SidePipes on an older Vette .

Reply to
dave