'75 Speedo Drive Gear

Hi all, I have noticed fluid leaking around the speedo drive area on the tranny (automatic). The service manual instructions are simply to remove cable; remove retainer bolt and clamp; and remove driven gear assy. to replace "O" ring. Trouble is that the driven assy. just doesn't "come out". After 30 years how much help can I give it with small taps without damaging the unit ? Is it keyed or splined which would mean damage from any kind of persuasion ? My Corvette Assembly Manual doesn't show this area. Thanks.

Reply to
W. Moore

I just pulled one on a '79 a month ago and it was stuck. Twist it back and forth a few times, and pull. No tapping.

You can push in slightly with your fingers also. The O-ring sticks and won't move, so you have to move it enough to break the seal and get a bit of fluid under it so it slides.

When it comes loose, it will fly right out, so be ready.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Tom, Thanks for the info. When you say that it will fly right out do you mean that there is a spring behind it or a lot of fluid that will spill all over ?

Reply to
W. Moore

Not allot of fluid, just that they always seem to pop loose and it is quick enough to cut the back of your hand as you pull on it. You do have to get it moving in and out, rotating it sometime only breaks the inside seal where it's froze fast. It is a tight metal fit and it don't take much corrosion to stick it in there good.

Dad

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

Screw the cable back on and use a pair of needle nose pliers between the cable and case to persuade it to come out. PDeen

Reply to
PDDeen

Hi again, Many thanks to all respondents. I wrapped a piece of leather around the speedo cable threads on the housing and with a pair of channel-locks wiggled it until it popped out, no busted knuckles or cut hands. I called two Chevy dealers looking for parts. One didn't have the "O" ring, or the grease seal in the center of the housing. The second one said he had both so I jumped in the truck and drove 30 miles to that dealer. Oops was the reply when I arrived. He misunderstood what year model I had and that it was an automatic tranny and not a manual tranny. I wonder if he understood anything that I told him ! After a 60 mile round trip for nothing I called a local speed shop who told me that the inner grease seal is common for a range of Chevy auto. trans. models and he can have it in two days, and the large "O" ring is a standard "on the shelf" item. I'm hoping for good luck at that shop.

Reply to
W. Moore

Reply to
RicSeyler