76 corvette - 350 -L48 smoke

or some time I have wanted to get a cruise car for the summer. A modest 70 era - 10 footer- to go to concerts, Friday cruse night...........
I looked at a 76 on Saturday with 45000mi, L-48.
Nothing had been done to the car. That isthe orignial (but worn) paint,interior, and under the hood, no chrome or any changes.
The bad news. It starts up ok but when I opened the hood, there was blue smoke comming from someplace near the rear of the motor. Nothing on top, apparently down futher that is, towards the bottom of the engine.
I looked underneath but couldn't spot anything.
Is there some common type of problem that this could be? Any ideas on a quick test to find out if this is major?
Given the tired condition of cosmetics, I don't want to consider $9000 for a car that may need major engine work.
Before trying to convince the owner to take the car to my mechanic for a complete check, any opinions on the likelyhood this is major?
Thanks for any guess or informed opinions. If you have a mid 70's vatte, your help is appreciated
Add pictures here
✖

could be a valve cover gasket. or worst, a head gasket..
my2˘
--
"Key"

Add pictures here
✖
If the cosmetics are that tired and the seller wants $9,000 I would be back in my truck backing out of his/hewr driveway in about 30 seconds...
You are talking 4-5 grand just for paint...another grand for the interior... plus the $9,000 for the car.... WAY TOO MUCH....
I own a 76, L48 4 sp car.. It runs great..looks good enough that I have shown it this summer..and to be honest I do not think I could sell it for much more then the $9,000 this car is for sale for...
As for the smoke ....sounds like a valve cover gasket to me...not all that uncommon for any of my C3 Corvettes to do that in the spring after sitting all winter.. the gaskets dry up and leak when the car is first started ...problem disapears after about 30 minutes and never re-apears until the following year...actually same for the power Streering... they leak for a couple of weeks every spring...
Chevies have always had problems with valve seals going south that results in exhaust smoke on initial daily or every other day start up... no big deal on that score (lol..all 3 of my C3's are due to have new seals this winter...15 bucks per car...but time consumming to do...
BTW... I love my 76 ... actually it is my overall favorite Corvette that I own to just drive and enjoy ...moderate acceleration, very comfortable to ride in...turns a hell of a lot of heads.. etc...
But with tired cosmetics, I would walk even if it was a 4 sp car with Aluminum wheels ... ..If it had an automatic and Rally wheels I would be running .....$9,000 is too much ...
Bob G. 64 & 72 Rag Tops 76 79 & 95 Coupes...

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:17:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the advice--------I'll keep on looking:)
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:45:52 -0500, Bob G.

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep on looking:)
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:45:52 -0500, Bob G.

Add pictures here
✖
I have for sale a Z06 rear pair of Z06 rear quarter panel air scoops/brake vents at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE86574364&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT
TP
Add pictures here
✖
Get em key
--

Z˙RiX (<>..<>)

"cnc" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
✖
http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html
--
"Key"

---snip---
✖
---snip---
http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html
Add pictures here
✖

I vote for a leaky rocker cover gasket. Oil leaks on the exhaust manifold and causes the exact problem you are describing. If the smoke continues AFTER the engine has been turned off, it makes the gasket a REALLY good suspect since if it were blow by or similar, it would normally stop soon after turning off the engine.
Charlie

Add pictures here
✖
damn, I sold my 98% perfect '75 for less than that. ehhh, look for another. dave
=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ==

Add pictures here
✖
The first thing I would look at would be the valve covers. They are notorious for leaking. They will generally leak worse toward to back of the engine. The oil gets on the exhaust and burns off causing blue smoke and a foul smell. If it isn't that then you will have to look further.

Add pictures here
✖
car isnt worth 9 grand if everything nees to be restored more like 4-5. 76's are a dime a dozen save you money .you are better off spending more now which means you'll spend less later i see nice c-3's sell at the auction.blooming ton/pheasent run with low miles for 10 to 12 grand your talking a few more thousand. do you know what that 76 will cost to make it look like that 10 to 12 grand car? ive been there im over 50 grand my advice walk away and wait till you find a better ride

Add pictures here
✖