76 corvette - 350 -L48 smoke

or some time I have wanted to get a cruise car for the summer. A modest 70 era - 10 footer- to go to concerts, Friday cruse night...........

I looked at a 76 on Saturday with 45000mi, L-48.

Nothing had been done to the car. That isthe orignial (but worn) paint,interior, and under the hood, no chrome or any changes.

The bad news. It starts up ok but when I opened the hood, there was blue smoke comming from someplace near the rear of the motor. Nothing on top, apparently down futher that is, towards the bottom of the engine.

I looked underneath but couldn't spot anything.

Is there some common type of problem that this could be? Any ideas on a quick test to find out if this is major?

Given the tired condition of cosmetics, I don't want to consider $9000 for a car that may need major engine work.

Before trying to convince the owner to take the car to my mechanic for a complete check, any opinions on the likelyhood this is major?

Thanks for any guess or informed opinions. If you have a mid 70's vatte, your help is appreciated

Reply to
branchenv

could be a valve cover gasket. or worst, a head gasket..

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

If the cosmetics are that tired and the seller wants $9,000 I would be back in my truck backing out of his/hewr driveway in about 30 seconds...

You are talking 4-5 grand just for paint...another grand for the interior... plus the $9,000 for the car.... WAY TOO MUCH....

I own a 76, L48 4 sp car.. It runs great..looks good enough that I have shown it this summer..and to be honest I do not think I could sell it for much more then the $9,000 this car is for sale for...

As for the smoke ....sounds like a valve cover gasket to me...not all that uncommon for any of my C3 Corvettes to do that in the spring after sitting all winter.. the gaskets dry up and leak when the car is first started ...problem disapears after about 30 minutes and never re-apears until the following year...actually same for the power Streering... they leak for a couple of weeks every spring...

Chevies have always had problems with valve seals going south that results in exhaust smoke on initial daily or every other day start up... no big deal on that score (lol..all 3 of my C3's are due to have new seals this winter...15 bucks per car...but time consumming to do...

BTW... I love my 76 ... actually it is my overall favorite Corvette that I own to just drive and enjoy ...moderate acceleration, very comfortable to ride in...turns a hell of a lot of heads.. etc...

But with tired cosmetics, I would walk even if it was a 4 sp car with Aluminum wheels ... ..If it had an automatic and Rally wheels I would be running .....$9,000 is too much ...

Bob G.

64 & 72 Rag Tops 76 79 & 95 Coupes...

Reply to
Bob G.

I have for sale a Z06 rear pair of Z06 rear quarter panel air scoops/brake vents at:

TP

Reply to
cnc

I vote for a leaky rocker cover gasket. Oil leaks on the exhaust manifold and causes the exact problem you are describing. If the smoke continues AFTER the engine has been turned off, it makes the gasket a REALLY good suspect since if it were blow by or similar, it would normally stop soon after turning off the engine.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

'Key

no worries X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

'Key

damn, I sold my 98% perfect '75 for less than that. ehhh, look for another. dave

=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

Reply to
dave

Reply to
branchenv

Reply to
branchenv

The first thing I would look at would be the valve covers. They are notorious for leaking. They will generally leak worse toward to back of the engine. The oil gets on the exhaust and burns off causing blue smoke and a foul smell. If it isn't that then you will have to look further.

Reply to
localhost

Reply to
carl librizzi