77 front brakes

I have a customer with a 77 vette that has perpetually leaky front brakes. I have heard this is a common problem and I was wondering if there is a fix for this. He has had his calipers rebuilt several times and every time he brings his vette out for the summer all of his brake fluid has leaked out. It seems to be coming from the oring/seals between the caliper halves. I have never attempted to rebuild them, so I don't know it the others are doing something wrong, or if it is a design flaw. I'm sure someone here has had experience with this matter and I greatly appriciate your input.

Thanks!

Reply to
gorrilla

The simplest and often most cost effective fix is to replace the calipers with units that have been rebuilt with stainless steel cylinder bores. Vette Brakes and Products -

is where I've bought all 12 of the calipers I've replaced over the years.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Here's some other places to get them:

WayneC

Reply to
W. Moore

-------------------------------------------- I would not call it a design flaw..BUT. The key words you used are... "every time he brings his vette out for the summer".... which indicated he stored his vette...and the seals have dried out,... not only can cause leaking BUT can also suck air into the system... which as your customer has already noted is frustrating...

I drove my 72 for 10-15 years daily without every having this problem BUT when I stated storing it for the winter ...guess what... the seals dried out and I developed your customers symptoms...

This can be avoided in a number of ways... easiest but hard to remember method is to simply walk out to the garage evey Sunday when the car is stored during the winter and pump the brakes a few times... .. IT WORKS... (ended the problem on all 3 of my C3 vettes)

As others have said... SS lined calibers and ones with "O" rings will "usually" also end the problem... to be honest I replaced all the calibers on my 72 76 & 79 vettes with these plus installed them on the front of my 64 and I have "almost" problem free for the last 7-8 years now... by almost I will have to admit that I have found that the 79 sometimes has a soft peddle in the spring...no visible leaks but one caliber must be sucking air...so I bleed the brakes and that solves the problem for another year... I suspect it is the right front but bleeding the brakes once a year is just as easy as replacing the caliber at this point anyway...

In short...regular stock calibers work just fine IF YOU USE THE CAR if you store the car replace the calibers with SS lined ones with "O" ring seals...

Bob Griffiths

64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it and I'm sure my customer will too!!

Reply to
gorrilla