77 luggage rack

I have a '77 with a luggage rack on the back deck. I'd like to remove it for re-chroming but I've heard that if I unscrew the fasteners that the nuts
will fall off underneith and are not accessible without removing the gas tank. True or false
I had a thought that I might be able to remove the gas filler cap assembly and maybe get my hand in under he deck to get at the nuts. I haven't investigated this.
Any ideas
Dave Sage