78 t-top question

I have a 78 black corvette,my question is. This car came to me with glass panel tops,from my research that was a pretty rare option for 1978 on cars other then
the pace cars can anyone expand on this for me? Thanks!
This article is posted by A4Pocket Newsreader from Pocket PC. View http://www.a4pocket.com for detail.
Since it takes all of two minutes to put a set on, unless you have the window sticker or build sheet saying it had them, then they mean nothing.
And it isn't like it increases the price of your car $1000 or anything.

It is odd though that there were as many class T top options sold as there were trailer packages???? Both were low number sales.

The glass roofs were originally going to come out in '77 and made by the Moon Roof company (don't remember actual name of company). The Moon Roofs had been marketed already in '76 and Chevy was going to make them an option, but there was a legal battle over them, as Chevy wanted them exclusively if they were going to be an option, and Moon Roofs wanted to still sell them through their company to anyone who wanted them, like '68 to '76 owners.
Basically Chevy said that if they were going to be an option on the '77 and you are our vendor, then you cannot sell on the open market, to which Moon Roofs took their roofs and left.
In '78, Chevy brought out their own, and I believe Moon Roofs files suit against Chevy for stealing the idea. This may be why the production was low. Also, if I remember right, Moon Roofs sold for $250 a set while the '78 Chevy option was $349. Now where would you buy yours?
Plus, buying the aftermarket Moon Roofs, you still had a set of solid t-tops but buying the Chevy glass roofs, you had only the glass roofs.

purchased the car in the late 80's)... Does anyone know where to purchase the pins that go into the hole in the windshield frame for these things....?
I made my own years ago out of lead using a home made mold...and they have worked fine...just like to actually get a set of the real things...
They are always on my list at Carlisle...
Bob G.
Since I know you have a few C3s, have you compared them to the ones on the t-tops or the convertible top? Also, since they made them for Camaros and Trans Ams, maybe they match those.

Yes I have compared the metal inserts from both early and late C3 style T-tops...They are exactly the same... Honestly I never looked at them from convertibles...until a few minutes ago when I walked out to the garage and checked my 72 which is a convertible...they look the same BUT later today I will pull one off a moon roof and compare the two...from memory it does look like the ones on the convertible have more adjustment protential..that is the mounting .holes look a little larger... Have no idea now why I did not compare then years ago...since I had my 72 since 1980 or so...???
Also just looked at the inserts on the 64 Convertible...completely different animal ....
I am going to Carlisle again next week I think I will carry one with me... and check it against The inserts from Camaros, Trans Ams or even For#s ....
Thanks Bob ..
Bob G.
Interesting, Tom. It's always fun to learn what happened behind the scenes.
--

Tom in Missouri wrote:
> The glass roofs were originally going to come out in '77 and made by the
The reason I remember that is because I was at Koenig Chevrolet in Carbondale for a show in April 1977 and they had several '77s with the Moon Roofs. When I asked about them, the dealer told us that he had several on order from Chevrolet, kept getting the back order status, and finally cancelled. He ended up going directly to Moon Roof to get them for his customers.

thanks for all the info, i never knew about a lawsuit.

This article is posted by A4Pocket Newsreader from Pocket PC. View http://www.a4pocket.com for detail.
I don't know if there was a lawsuit. The legal battle can just be how many attempts to sign a contract they had. No contract, no merchandise. I'm sure Chevy wanted glass roofs, since that was the rage then, and Moon Roof sold a bunch and since while '78 was low, there were nearly 15,000 in '79, nearly 20,000 in '80, and 29,000 in '81.
And out of all of those, the number which found their way to '78 and older has to be more than a few.