79 heater hoses...

ok guys..maybe a dumb question..i just installed new heater hoses on my 79..the bottom side of the heater core is a 5/8 hose..the top is a 3/4 hose..i had them routed core to core..and wtaer pump to intake ove the
summer to cut back on the heat during the summer months here in virginia( for some reason the damn thing would never stop circulating hot air )..anyways..i hooked the 5/8 to the intake..and the 3/4 to the water pump..topped the radiator and fired it up..the 3/4 hose collapsed, no hot air, and the temps went over 200..it was runnin at 150 on the way to the parts store which is normal for it this time of year..what the hell did i do wrong???
larry

suppose there could be..i started the car with the cap off to be able to top off if needed but hell who knows..lol..i did put the hoses in the right spot right??..i mean they just dont fit the nipples any other way..i just wanted to get a lil heat in there now thats its cooling off at night, i aint gonna stop driving this damn car, its too much fun.lol

open, will normally work. Air pockets in the cooling system can cause head gaskets to fail. They can be formed while coolant is being added. Air must escape from the engine as the coolant is added in order to provide even cooling. The thermostat sometimes blocks the air, leaving pockets in the upper block and/or heads. In other cases, the configuration of the cooling system itself makes it difficult to remove air. With air in the system, coolant does not circulate properly, so the engine doesn't cool evenly. Air trapped in the system can often be found in the heater core. Little or no output from the heater when the engine is warm is a good indicator of air trapped in the system.

because of an air pocket. The water level in the radiator would suddenly drop out of sight (idle with cap off). I'd add water and suddenly it would all come gushing up and out. I trickled water in, I blasted it in, I put it in the bottom hose and let it run out the top. Finally decided that the water pump I had put in was a little too good, because it would apparently create an air pocket just below the thermostat, the pocket would keep the thermostat from openning until things were incredibly hot, and then it would open with a vengence. I could hear the pump cavitate sometimes. What a mess to figure out.
well, to play it safe then im gonna take the thermostat out and drain and refill the system. Antifreeze is cheap in comparison to head gaskets..lol

until all of the air is worked out and it is at running temperature with the coolant circulating.
--
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life