79 minor repairs..need advice

Page 2 of 2
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

Actually, change the rearend gear ratio and even a really mild engine will really accellerate.
There are some down sides, like reduction in mileage, lower top end (if that's important) and since the engine speed is higher the noise level goes up especially on the freeway.
Dennis
wow....didnt mean to start conteversy between the ones who are the most knowledgable..lol..thanks for ALL the input..i did glean some good points from all and will use them . . thanks guys:) Larry

LOL Don't apologize, that's who we learn things from each other. Dennis sure could teach me a thing or two about many things I'm certain.
Iff'in he wern't sucha Ponce!! hehehe Dennis ;-)
Larry & Michele wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I own a 4 speed 76.. L48... and I also own a 79.. L82, automatic..
Both are bone stock with the exception of the exhaust (both now cat-less duals)....
The L-48 equipted 4 speed will "lay rubber" in all four gears (if you count the chirp in 4th) ..no problem at all....
The 79 L-82 automatic on the other hand has a hard time spinning the tires on a gravel road..
The 79 is my Crusier...great car to take the wife out with in the evening ...for a drive to the local Ice Cream Joint...
76 = 180 Hp 79 = 225 Hp Transmission & Gears have one hell of an effect...lol
Bob 64 & 72 Rag Tops 76 79 & 95 Coupes looking for a C5 Z06
Former Reply: An impossibility with an L48 ...at least from typical add on's. You need to understand, that, the 1979 corvette was intended to be a cruiser and not a 0-60 car.
"I own a 4 speed 76.. L48... and I also own a 79.. L82, automatic.. Both are bone stock with the exception of the exhaust (both now cat-less duals).... The L-48 equipted 4 speed will "lay rubber" in all four gears (if you count the chirp in 4th) ..no problem at all...."
REPLY: A bone stock L48 180 h.p motor laying rubber in all four gears ?! Are you sure youre not hitting the brake pedal between shifts instead !? Could you take along a portable tape recorder and run her thru the gears for us ; there have been car documentaries on TV that put the stock L48 nearly equivalent to the common Family Car in performance. Im not trying to upset you, but, the 1976-1979 stock L48 really hurt the perception of the (powerful) Corvette that it once was. It became the sad outcome of the Feds aggressive agenda to clean up the air -- it wasnt until 1984 that performance started to be returned to the Corvette along with its improved image. Even 'The Fastest 50 Years' Corvette DVD made simular statements on the mid 70s' to early 80's .

\ ====================Been busy and have not checked the newsgroup in a few days...
BUT My comments STAND.... my 76 L-48 will burn rubber in but I have to say the chirp occurs in 3rd NOT 4th... Its stock except for the exhaust system ..and that is only modified by removing the cats and making it a true dual exhaust system... my 79 with an L-82 (automatic) will not spin its tires unless I am driving on loose gravel or ice... and it also has no cats and true duals...
Honestly the 75 thru 82 Model years all hurt the "preception" of the Corvette as a preformance vehicle.. BUT when compared to every other vehicile made in this country they still had more to offer preformance wise. I think that is one reason the price of Mid Years started climbing thru the roof...even the base engine cars !
My 300 Hp 95, 6 speed will blow the doors off my 365 Hp solid lifter 64 ...and by todays standard the 95s' 300 hp is about what you will find in most 2005 grocery getters.. ...
And NO you sure did not offend me in anyway...
Bob G.
'My 300 Hp 95, 6 speed will blow the doors off my 365 Hp solid lifter 64 '
REPLY: The 365 h.p was a gross h.p rating and the 300 h.p was a net hp rating plus FI -- thats why. But id rather have the '64 for the resale value of it.
Welll DUH!!! LOLOLOL
dave wrote:

--
Ric Seyler